Most over-rated car and most under-rated car??

Probably because it’s cheaper

I dunno really, hence the “IIRC”. higher compression ratios? ease of manufacture? I would have to research that one a bit further before I could give you a definitive answer.

another underration: forced-induction diesels. gale banks is the diesel’s ed pink.

its because it has better quench and keeps the mixture in the center of the chamber. swirl has to do more with port shape than chamber design (this is not to say chamber design has nothing to do with swirl.)

word. live and learn. thanks.

I also think diesel cars are the most underrated daily drivers out there, unfortunately there isnt much selection here in the states.

diesel > most of anything.

BTW - Didn’t hemis suffer for hot/cold spots in the head that hurt efficiency and the head itself?

Well, most pent roof designs are 4 valve heads. You can’t really do a 4 valve hemi head, because to maintain a true hemi, the pairs of valves would collide at opening.

The hemi design itself definitely isn’t overrated - it was good enough to dominate, and then be outlawed from Nascar. And it is the head design used by virtually every alcohol, and every top fuel drag car. OTOH Chrysler’s recent use of “Hemi” as a marketing gimmick sure is overrated though.

so you’re telling me honda didnt use a hemi head in there 4th and 5th gen civics (with 4 valves per cylinder), and then switched to a pent roof?

there are better chamber designs.

Eh? Since when was the B series a hemi head?

I do remember reading that BMW did a true hemispherical 4 valve head for a race motor but the valvetrain was pretty complex.

Problem with a hemi head is you have to run a pretty good domed piston to make up for the huge cc’s. But since you can stick big valves in there, the flow numbers are impressive. A good reason why the old Mopar 426 hemi’s were such great circle track motors, though not the best for the street.

why did i open my mouth about the hemi :lol: