Motorcycle Insurance Suggestions?

Hello, I am looking at getting a new motorcycle this season, and my current insurer (Meloche Monnex) unfortunately does not insure sportbikes. And most of the bikes I am looking at are considered sport bikes. My last bike was a standard, and I was able to very cheaply insure via Monnex, but most of the new bikes I am looking at are a no go.

Any suggestions on where to go? Monnex has a partner/sub company that will do it (Primmum or something) but I thought I’d shop around a bit.

BTW The type of bike I am leaning towards is the Honda 599 as yellowhead honda has a killer deal on right now for a brand new 2006, but monnex considers it a sport bike.

The funny thing is, I was previously leaning heavily towards the Suzuki SV1000S and Monnex did NOT consider that a sport bike and would insure me. That bike is faster and more powerful than the little 599 and they will insure the big one but not the little one, go figure?

I know what you mean I have been riding a few years now and 2 years ago pretty much any insurance company would insure me I had a ninja at the time. Then when I bought a cbr last year most insurance companies didnt want to insure me. They would get you to insure under their affiliate. So i had no choice and went with affiliate but my insurance didnt go up it was still pretty much the same.

regardless they have uped the ante for new riders or young riders or riders in general. hopefully it isnt like toronto. it would have costed me $3xxx a year to insure a bike with thirdparty. but that was when i just got my license at the time few years back.

the 599 shouldnt be classified as a sports bike in my opinion. its a toned down cbr. it was made for people who just wanted to ride around the city or do whatever and have the feeling of a sports bike but be comfortable at the same time. i would try and argue but there isnt much you can really do to make them change their mind. I considered the 599 a while back but in my opinion and no offense its kind of like a girls bike. id still ride it though.

This is strange. I don’t mean to offend or make any assumptions but I am curious if they have an age bias and won’t insure sport bikes at all or if they won’t insure a sport bike for a younger and or inexperienced (in their opinion) rider?

My sugggestion is to just go to a broker and move your car insurance along with your bike insurance to a company a broker finds for you. Then when your current company asks why you are moving your insurance you can tell them and maybe if enough people do this they may find it makes business sense to offer it.

I would also suggest talking to the dealers as I am sure other people have asked them when they were in looking at bikes.

…Stupid insurance companies. :finga:

basically any new rider trying to get insurance is going to have a hard time. most insurance companies wont insure a new rider or with limited riding experience. some stll wont insure a rider regardless. they have changed alot.

my friends who are a few years older then me wont insure them because they are a new rider and would recommend a affiliate company.

the excuse they gave for me is because its a sports bike even though i have a few years under my belt. they recommended me to a affiliate company.

sigh.

haha I agree, I wasn’t looking at it before, but the price difference is too big for me to ignore. I was looking at SV1000S (~$11700), GSXR 600/CBRR/Ninja 600/R6 ~$11500~12500 and I can get the 599 for $7000.

For a 4-$5K difference I’ll ride a girl’s bike. :smiley:

Same as me, I have been riding for 3 years, no tickets, no accidents, I’m 27, my auto driving record is clean, etc. But they consider it a “sports bike”.

That’s what I was thinking to call a broker, and try to find the best price/coverage.

Girl’s bike? This comment would imply smaller, less powerfull,or perhaps pink. I think your comment (not you in particular but in general) pretty much sums up why the insurance companies steer clear of new riders and sport bikes, i.e., attidude.

wow and they are still giving you that crap? yeah id defintely talk to a broker.

i can understand for me because im 21. but you should be a shoe in.

yah being 27 you should have no prob, i was 19 and first bike and i was paying 1300 a year and then that went down to 1100.

but i was with ING and they were actually really good for my bike insurance, mine was stolen and my compenation was almost what i paid for the bike a yr and half later and they were quick. but they SUCK for car insurance. but for motorcycle insurance, i had a 03’ kawi zx6rr and they insured me but for quite a price, but that was what most places were asking excpet for AMA they were much higher.

Girl’s bike? This comment would imply smaller, less powerfull,or perhaps pink. I think your comment (not you in particular but in general) pretty much sums up why the insurance companies steer clear of new riders and sport bikes, i.e., attidude.[/quote]

I take what I can get. I never want to go without a season of riding. if you think thats a girls bike I used to have ride a 250 around. even though I call it a girls bike I am a man without preference. no tickets or accidents either hooray

i go through meloche monnex for my bike insurance. i drive a 97 suzuiki GSX and they had no problem insuring me. it was my first bike/year riding. had it for a couple years now. its like 30 dollars a month

insurance policies has changed a lot couple years ago and now

Went through some brokers and it looks like the cheapest insurance I can get is $1200!

Sucks, but what can you do?

Its nothing to do with my record (clean!) as my liability is like $150 a year, collision is ~$500 but the killer is comprehensive (fire/theft). Fire/theft is $600 something. Yowza, but I have no choice, I don’t want to buy a brand new motorcycle and have it stolen and get nothing. Maybe the 599 gets stolen often?

Should pick the bike up next week, I’ll post some pics when I take possession.

Man, I miss having an old bike where I only paid for liability… haha I paid like $140 a year for a 1983 Yamaha Maxim 750