MPD47's On-Going Drifting Thread: Stories, Pics & Vids

I love that you are so into this! great stuff.

am I the only one that remembers how much NYspeed used to rip on drifting?

Noone ever ripped on drifting.

People ripped on those drifiting on public streets and thinking every RWD car had to be used to drift or it was useless.

People like RudeBoy and MPD doing it right and doing great at these events is kick ass.

Drifting around a culdesac in a neighborhood is :tdown:

Some photos from DMCC’s Photographer.

http://www.dmccdrift.com/watermark.php?src=%2Fwww%2Fonderground%2Fdmccdrift.com%2Fwww.dmccdrift.com%2Fgallery%2F2009%2Fround4_day1%2FDMCC_round4_day1-010.jpg
http://www.dmccdrift.com/watermark.php?src=%2Fwww%2Fonderground%2Fdmccdrift.com%2Fwww.dmccdrift.com%2Fgallery%2F2009%2Fround4_day1%2FDMCC_round4_day1-111.jpg
http://www.dmccdrift.com/watermark.php?src=%2Fwww%2Fonderground%2Fdmccdrift.com%2Fwww.dmccdrift.com%2Fgallery%2F2009%2Fround4_day1%2FDMCC_round4_day1-104.jpg
That photo (above) leads me to believe what I’ve been debating for the past 2 events or so is correct, the car needs more spring rate front and rear. On some of the rear shots you can see me almost lifting the front inside wheel, and this shot clearly shows the front has to little spring rate. Probably 100-150# more all around is a good starting point and then perhaps tweak the 350Evo sways.

http://www.dmccdrift.com/watermark.php?src=%2Fwww%2Fonderground%2Fdmccdrift.com%2Fwww.dmccdrift.com%2Fgallery%2F2009%2Fround4_day1%2FDMCC_round4_day1-099.jpg

Love it. I need to find some time to rip and make a vid of those runs… so that you stop texting me about it :wink:

So I had been talking about tire de-lamination problems due to the suspension and heat last ClubLoose event. Here are two bits of media to support that fact. A photo from TunerIcons showing a large chunk of tire flying off and a video from jersey streets (skip to 8:38 or so) large smokey drift follow by tire slapping around inside the wheel well. Both of these were on the 2nd lap of a session :picard:

http://tunericons.com/alv/albums/media/photos/321/1250263597187.jpg

http://vimeo.com/6202951

Fresh sticker tires helped cure this, as well as slightly slower pressures. Next up getting a second set of camber arms from Bings.ca for next season so I can have a pair set aggressively for occasional track use and a pair set up for drift.

yeah the flap-flap-flap-flap was rather tell-tale there

Santi’s vid from Toronto, shows my practice run tapping the 1st clipping point :slight_smile:

Damn, cool vids and pics.

Like the other’s asked, where to start? (other than the bank with a giant loan…)

so did anyone notice the tread on the rear tires going in the opposing direction ? :nono:

Frequently tires mounted backwards yield significantly more smoke, though decrease life a bit (obviously). Also depends on the brand.

that does make sense. especially seeing as im sure no one is to concerned with the tires lasting that long anyways haha

I’ve witnessed people running Z rated tires backwards at track days so that they can get more even wear left to right as they get down close to the wear bars. as long as it’s not raining…

Is there a preferred tread pattern? Rain tire versus Slicks? Obviously those are the 2 extremes but still. If you ran a “slick” would you be able to control your drift at all or would it grip like a monster? On the other end of the spectrum too little tread can lead to no grip.

I am getting more intrigued about tire compounds. I watch the Moto GP this weekend and they had an interesting segment on tire compounding. Cycling is on constantly as well and that is what they mostly talk about.

No one runs slicks. Not only is the car not balanced (I’ve tried it before just for the hell of it). But it’s not legal according to DMCC, Formula D, and their affiliated series. Tires have to pass a durmeter test. IIRC the tires have to test ~50 on the gauge if there is a protest. It’s all just street tires, or drift specific tires here. Maxxis makes a dedicated drift tire. I think Falken just uses 615’s. I’ve heard hankook is using a modified version of one of their street tires but I’m not sure what it is. Nexen’s are typically just N3000’s. I’m running WanLi S1088’s.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with what we’re talking about.

I for some reason JUST read through this whole thread.

:tup::tup:

Sorry, I missed this one before…

Thanks man.

As for where to start. Unfortunately there isn’t much driver training for this sort of thing in the region. If you are down in the Jersey area they hold beginners clinics twice a year where the Group A/Tandem guys do instruction for an entire day for the new guys. They also have Wednesday night “practices” in the parking lot at EnglishTown. Really basic course and a lot of the A group guys come hang around and help out to “give back”. Around here there is an occasional event in Ontario (2 or 3). But typically those events are just show up and slide on (or off as the case usually is) the track… and no one I would trust to instruct. Unfortauntely the big drifting “scenes” in the area are Montreal or South Jersey, which is why I travel to events. I’d love to hold a local clinic, but that would take a large driver commitment from both new and experienced. Which the area has pretty much proven to not support.

Interesting. So what would happen if you used a normal Goodyear/Michelin/Firestone tire? Would you just eat the piss out of it?

I have been running Cooper tires on my DDs for the past 4 years and I really like there stuff…would this be an option or is that a different ball park? Not trying to cloud this with non-sensical jibberish. I am acutally very curious.

Thanks for the info. I want to hit up a drifting event sometime. I saw some quick demonstration at Holland a few years back. Pretty cool.

No no, I don’t mind asking questions. Feel free to ask :slight_smile: That’s kinda half the point of the thread.

You can 100% run normal street tires. Most guys do. I used to run on exclusively used tires, however I’ve picked up enough speed and produce enough smoke now where I have to run sticker tires. The last event I tried to use some used tires at I went through 6 tires in 6 laps. I know the C group guys will only use a pair of tires for an entire event though. B group typically is about 4-8 tires per day.

My last event is in October (two day event, 24th and 25th) and I plan on needing a pair per run group, plus a spare pair for fronts and rears. We typically do about 4 or 5 single hour sessions and then we’ll run non stop trains at the end of the second day. So as you pick up speed you start to need A LOT of tires.

If you decide to go to an even here is some basic “tech” stuff (taken from ClubLoose):

Drivers are required to have the following to drive:

1. Long pants
  2. Shoes need to cover the whole foot -no sandels/flipflops
  3. SA2000 or newer helmet.

Tech inspection:

1. All lugnuts and studs present and working
  2. Battery securely mounted
  3. Battery in approved battery box andvented if in cabin- Excludes sealed batteries
  4. Working 3pt harness or better
  5. Racing type harness must be mounted properly at correct angle in compliance with manufacturers specs
  6. All loose items including floormats must be removed from cabin – including your sweet cd collection
  7. Balljoints must be in good working order. No clunking or excessive play will be tolerated
  8. Gascap must be present and seal correctly
  9. Excessively loud vehicles are not permitted
  10. Car must not leak any fluid of any kind.
  11. Open differentials will not be tolerated includes OE S chassis VLSD
  12. Fire extinguishers highly recommended for all cars.
  13. Use common sense.
  14. Driver must be ready to rock at all times!

Tandem rules are those plus full fire safety equipment (suit, shoes, balaclava, etc) plus a full cage. They will allow VLSD’s… they’ll just make fun of you the entire season for it if they find out. Thankfully no one ratted me out this year and now I no longer run a VLSD as of next week.

Wow. Cool info. Can you even participate with a “non-modified” steering system? I thought you needed to modify the arms or something to get more angle out of the tire…I swore I picked that up somewhere. Maybe a different class.

I need a lot more wheel time if I ever enter an event like these. I would not mind just spectating either. It’s really cool to watch.

Best of luck to you at your next event :tup:

Mike’s 350Z is unmodified steering (for now).