Muay Thai or Krav Maga

ive trained like that before… its tough the first couple weeks until your body gets used to the abuse(at least mine did)

i was training muay thai mon wed fri and bjj thur and sat.

im not trying to speed the process up, and i know it seems like a lot, but i really dont have much else going on.

i dont HAVE to train that many days, its just my options

tI have trained in both.

Krav Maga was developed in Isreal as a means of self defense then turned into a form of first strike defense with the idea that a good offense is the best defense. Krav Maga is very intense and is great in close quarters combat.

Muay Thai, in my opinion is a much more technical style that relies much more heavily on body conditioning. Meaning you punish the body to build up a calas. You train the body to take a hit and keep going. Part of my training consisted of standing there with my hands on my head and receiving multiple shin kicks to the thighs, when your thighs finally gave out, you were on your knees and kicked in the ribs. This is to condition and toughen the muscles in your legs and then your lats as they are the core of all upper body strength (along with abs)

I am not sure where you are. I know in Buffalo there is no reputable place to train in Muay Thai. My trainer was a friend from the UK who competed in regular events and held 3 championships. Bad ass man.

I did train in Krav Maga around here and it was intense to say the least almost annoyingly. It’s as if the instructor was on meth. Good information none the less

Personally I liked Muay Thai more. Mostly because it was a challenge. I am short and as wide as a brick shithouse. Im much more adaptable to grappling and close quarters combat. I was a wrestler in high school and did train in Judo briefly. This is complementary to my body type, however Muay Thai let me practice something that was out of my element and gave me a much more well rounded approach and more confidance really knowing I could now perform something that wasn’t a strength before.

All in all it doesnt matter what style you practice. It’s all in the mind. If you are confidant in your self and know you will win walking in, you will walk out.

Im down next time im home(may/june). Micah what do you weigh?
Ok im really going to the gym now.

he weighs 72lbs

everyone underestimates the kick in the groin!

only self defense you need:

Also… you do BJJ and are worried about defending yourself in public? lol.

Howie does Krav, ask his opinion. I think it’s just ball shots and hair pulling though.

I think NYSpeed needs an MMA tournament, cause i’m gonna bring the pain to micah and cougarspeed :smiley:

if it helps at all, im 6’ 4’’ 240… i think im gonna try the krav maga a couple times to get the gist of it and see what i like, while going back to muay thai to get the conditioning aspect back and get back in the ring

and yes… i will challenge all :wink: esp skunk

the prob is that i have a bad shoulder injury that keeps me from getting back into bjj

I actually just passed my level II krav test on saturday, that shit was LONG.

Krav is useful self defense, definitely…

Never did muy thai - all my senseis (who train in like, everything) thought I did muy thai before because I pound people with my kicks.

I do however, also do MMA stand fighting and grappling (Bjj) and I find that BJJ is the best workout (we do like, 30 minutes of grappling per class, I am shot by the end of like, 2-3 five minute rounds).

MMA stand fighting has sparring, you needs pads and shit.

I dunno - I like krav, I get my sparring itch out with BJJ… I like to punish my poor partner through the tombstone pads and body shields…

And now, there is light sparring in Level II, with all the right gear - you’re not supposed to go 100% lol, but I’ve seen people get knocked out …

^^^

what is the conditioning level like with KM ?

is it pretty intense or is it just learning the art more

like a lot of people have said, when you go muay thai a lot of the class is conditioning and will kick your ass no doubt

TKD and combat sambo, i love it…been doing both since i was 10

1. I am going to own all of you
  2. Carnut made a very important point that i thought of while in the gym right now. Confidence is a huge factor. I try to be in way better shape then most others and it does get into their head and elps mine as well.
  3. You and Howie are big so im fighting mad dirty(cry now not later)

well i just talked to the KM people and im gonna try that out tomorrow night after work… from what they explained, it sounds like the way to go.

oh… and big guys can fight dirty too :wink:

cougar i am 170

fatty

ok so its settled…

Mike and Micah will fight in 2 weeks

Me as special goose referee

this made me LOL

after the fight…we can talk about the night of drinking in pitts…where i had issues on the bus with chunky mother fuckin A.

lots of messy issues on the back of the bus :confused:

Not when you dont see it coming.

WORD im 170 sounds like a good one. But who will take pictures?

You b-lo guys where do you get it on at?

The conditioning level with my sensei is VERY demanding. 1/2 the class is assed out by the time we begin learning techniques (~15 minutes in). Also, you determine much of your own workout.

I pretty much strike 100% force all the time, unless I get partnered with someone who isn’t as physically stable. That’s when I strike a lot weaker, but tend to try to strike faster yet maintaining my form. Some people have said that I strike (punches, palm heels, and elbows) harder when I look physically exhausted, but I give up form. However, no matter how tired I am I’m pretty much always going 100%.

You also have to remember, some of krav is also learning how to take a hit…

Your Krav experience will also greatly be based on how good your sensei is. Our senseis are awesome, keep in a ridiculous shape level, learn all sorts of techniques (sambo, bjj, mma shit, boxing, muy thai, kempo, ninjitsu, blah blah blah). They kind of intertwine that with what we learn in Krav - like we know all these chokes and kimoras that normal level I students around the country don’t know.

usually chippewa

what a rediculous statement