mufflerman question

How strict are they on exhaust installs? For example, would just a resonator or hi-flow cat be alright with them? I’m looking to replace a downpipe and mid section. Unless someone else can help out… :snky:

I do not know about the hi-flow cat, but they will not remove a catted section to be replaced with a resonator

The hi-flow cat looks normal so would they be cool with me bringing that instead since a catless downpipe is out of the question? I don’t wanna be asking all of this illegal stuff over the phone with them, heh.

Yeah, I was looking to replace my exhaust over the summer and was looking at a turbo back kit…they wouldn’t do the install because the turbo back eliminated 1 cat.

His exact words were “I can’t remove one piece of pipe with a cat in it and leave it there on the ground without replacing it with another cat”

EDIT: I don’t know if they would give you a hard time about the high-flow. I suppose a cat, is a cat, is a cat…etc

Ask them if they’re alright with high flow cats? That isn’t illegal.

No my brother had them install a high flow cat on his Jetta. No issues at all. They won’t do a test pipe (cat delete)

god why bother with them if theyre not going to do what you want, there’s plenty of other capable shops and members on the board here that will do what you ask for a nominal fee

Man, i would NEVER have them do anything after the pile of shit they sold to BigEd88. Crushed bent X pipe made of mild steel, sold as “stainless steel” right on the receipt and charged over a grand.

:lol:

They always gave me great deals on stuff

Chuck got raped there back in the day too on his true dual setup. Oh well

:lol: back when he was H/C and slow

They did my install and they installed a high-flow cat for me too. They charged me a grand for the header to the tips.

For a GA? Those have pretty simple exhausts. You could buy a pretty decent mig welder and all the parts for an exhaust for about a grand.

I had a v8 thunderbird that came with 2 cats in 1995, I think in 96 they switched to 3 cats.

They told me that my car had illegal exhaust and they wanted to put another cat on or they wouldn’t touch it.

For regular cars, I think they are fine, but for anything performance just do it yourself or at a speed shop.

I was happy with the price when I had them do a quicky fix for my Honda, but they quoted me $500 for a stock single exhaust for my '71 Cutlass, and $750 for a dual, just regular steel. Seriously? I bought an aluminized dual exhaust ready to install for $2XX from Summit and just have to put it on.

I have bad luck trying to buy services or parts though NYSpeed, people are always trying to jipp me or sell me broken parts.

Anyways, who has the proper tools to install a test-pipe locally and maybe replace a section of mid-pipe?

Well, I wanted the the dual Y exhaust coming out a diffuser. I think they did a good job and I am happy with it.

As far as i know the Ford T-bird (V8) got 4 cats since 1986.Two “pre” cats and two “main” cats.Even my ol’ 1991 CV had 4 cats.

Most would opt to delete the “pre” cats and leave the mains.If anything they would would replace them with highflow cats.You could have all cats deleted BUT you would have to have that tunned into your ECM/PCM.

I would have never of guessed lol.

the tbirds have three cats two of them are two way cats, one is a one way cat. Most cats are three way cats.

My lincoln mark VIII is based off of the t-bird, and has two cats on the down pipes, then one di/do cat. a bunch of people with t-birds and Marks delete the third cat.