mustang guys help

car is a 2000 v-6 it has an h-pipe (with high flow cats) and a CAI that was put on over a year ago. bout a week ago the CEL came on bout a week ago when the dealer scanned it it says “out of boundry emissions” but they told him it was running “too good” whatever the hell that means, he says he replaced the upstream o2s but not the downstream ones yet, any other ideas of what to look for?

could just be the Ford ECU throwing a simple code. pull the negative battery terminal for a couple min, then plug it back in. That should remove the CEL. Theres plenty of V6 Stangs running a true dual exhaust conversion without problem.

If it still comes on, tell him to go to www.v6power.net theyre a v6 mustang/ford oriented website.

he’s reset the ecu but keeps throwing it.

does the CAI create a bend before the MAF? i.e. does it relocate the filter into the fender, yet keep the MAF in the engine bay?

its probably cause he removed the cats… on the newer mustangs they make certian things to plug the O2 sensor harnesses that keep it from throwing codes when the emission stuff is removed

yeah but a year later throwing a cel?

the H pipe is a high flow pipe. The V6 comes with 4 cat convertors on a Y pipe though, I guarantee his H pipe only has two high flows. I honestly do not see this as an issue though. His new H pipe should have a bung already there for his rear o2’s. If push comes to shove though, you could always rig up a some MILs from radio shack parts to disable them.

resistors at radioshack aren’t high enough wattage to handle the heater circuits in rear o2s without catching the car on fire…you need at least a 50w alum-housed setup like i have on the talon.

anyways it dones’t make sense that a year after the exhaust was put on it would trip the cel.

Things to check.

1.) Rotate the MAF 90* to compensate for the bend that the CAI created
2.) Check the filter on the end of the CAI, see if it is dirty.
3.) Check and see if there are any particles attached to the sensor within the MAF housing

tell him/her to get the v8 and eliminate the problem

thats strange… wonder where a lot of the guys get their parts to make mils from… a lot say radio shack

you CAN use it as long as its mounted outside the car attached to the frame somewhere…radioshack only sells up to 10w resistors…in reality u need an 18w resistor bbut even that one will get hot, mine at its hottest point yoou can still touch with your bare hands. i’m not saying it won’t WORK per say - but not all tah safe

your problem is that the ecm sees a sensor that is out of range, the reason the sensor is out of range is because there are no cats, the upstream sensor measures the e-gas coming in the cat and the downstream sensor measures the e-gas coming out of the sensors, you need to call laurel mountain mustang and get a set of (MIL) eliminators, this wil take car ofyour problem…

it’s a cat effiency below threshold code… all obdii cars have this check… the o2 (or rear depending on how many) is heating up too fast. put a spacer on it to pull it from the exhaust path about a 1/4 in and it’ll be fine.

ok that makes sense to me but…can anyone expain why it took a year to throw the code?

It’s a Ford? :dunno: