Mustang Guys : need your help

so my buddy has a 04 gt stang(5spd), we started talking about ways to mod his car, since he is new to modding i gave him some suggestions.

cold air intake
headers
cat back exhaust
high flow cats
programmer (the one that plugs into obd port)
more radical cam

how much approx. whp could a setup like this net with and without the cam upgrade. any help appriciated alos if any know of a good place to get parts for his car let me know. btw im a honda guy, sorry dont know much about stangs

thanks alot

CAI is worthless imo. The factory airbox is much better then most CAI you will buy.
If you take the rubber snout off, that removes the restriction and the car sounds a bit meaner.

The best mod for the money is Rear End Gears. I would go with 3.73’s
If you don’t mind the trade-off 4.10 offer major bang for the buck(research opinions)
I would also increase the diameter of your tire/wheel combination.

A new, high flow, Intake neck has shown to offed decent gains. I know BBk makes one as do a few others… research.

CAI is useless…dump the silencer on the air box, and slap a K&N in…its the same difference. an 04 GT has more than one “cam”. And more upgrades are required before you can just drop a set of those in.

exhaust is always a good start. Id go with long tubes. but fuck the install.
as for a programmer, SCT Xcal 2 is the best bang for the buck for the less knowledgeable.

hp #s are hard to tell…the cams would be probably the biggest gain, depending on what ones you go with. id recommend steering away from the cams, until he knows 100% what direction he wants to take the car in…ie, forced induction etc. as that all plays a role in getting the proper cams…you dont want to install a set for n/a, then decide to put a blower on the car, and change them again…trust me.

other decent upgrades/bolt ons would be a 75mm t/b and upper plenum…accufab stuff is real nice. stay away from u/d pulleys…a nice short throw shifter and gear swap should be in the priority list also.

you wanna know anything about 2v mod motors, im your guy on here.

some good mod motor (96+) mustang websites/forums with tons of helpfull people as well as classifieds are…

www.modulardepot.com
www.modularfords.com
www.modularmisfits.com

edit: damn me and violator almost said the same thing at the same time lol.

Before your buddy figures out what he wants to do…

1. How much power does he wanna make?

2. Does he think he will want more afterwards?

3. Always there power? (Nitrous ok?)

4. How much money does he want to spend?

im sure he wants it n/a because a blower is 3kplus. now with headers obv he needs to keep the cat for inspection but, would he be able to install shorty’s keep the stock cat then a cat back. im so lost right now it isnt even funny…

no nitrous motor has 3000miles on it, im thinking budget or like 1500-2000

lol not when im the inspector

cats FTL

with full exhaust and cams, i could see 280 rwhp - ish

the CAI is worthless, as already stated

Long tube headers + midpipe will yield the best gains power wise in the bolt on stage.

The larger throttle body and plenum are only worth a couple HP and not worth the $$ IMO.

:tup: to the tuner and gears as well (you will need the tuner to recalibrate the speedometer with gear change)

Depending on your friend’s budget, i would look into the above mentioned exhaust upgrades + gears/tuner and then begin to save for some form of forced induction, without FI, these cars are pretty hopeless. I owned a 2002 GT for 3 years and i got sick of getting raped by stock F bodys, and i had full bolt ons and 259 rwhp :meh:

thanks for all the help already, maybe if someone would make a list of mods to be performed would help,
you guys are great thanks again

this is what i would do…

Mac ceramic coated long tube headers
Mac catless H pipe
Catback (i am partial to borla or magnaflow magnapacks)
SCT tuner
4.10 gears
Pro 5.0 shifter or MGW
BFG dr’s

then start saving :smiley:

If you don’t go for gears, tell him to get some suspension, that will make the BIGGEST difference in (almost) any car for the “smallest” price.

if he intersetd i have a set of off-road cat and some MIL eliminator and Flowmaster 40 series i can give him a decent price on.
I have a some after market stuff if he wants. pm me
and he even might have enough for nitrous :slight_smile:

go pick up this months issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. There is a great article in there about the BEST mods you can do for those cars, each costing $500 or less. Rear gears, hand-held tuner, N2O, CAI, and an axle back exhaust will get you into the 11s if i remember reading correctly.

The OP is talking about the 99-04 2V GT, not the new S197… realistically full bolt ons are going to get him a low 13, mid 12’s on the bottle. But yes +1 good article, i read that myself.

could definately hit 11s on the bottle,

just gotta push it hard enough, with 3k on the motor your set.

foxes have gone 9s on stock short blocks with big n2o shots, very short gears and exhaust.

oh reliability…meh.

foxes that run 9’s on stock blocks are living on borrowed time. You know how many stock 302 blocks turn themselves into shrapnel @ 10 sec power levels… :lol:

Edit, Foxes don’t matter, as the 2V 4.6s are nothing alike…

If the stock airboxes are so good why do 03-04 cobras respond so well to CAI if the design is pretty much the same?

^^ um forced induction maybe?

:lol:

forced induction 4V :roll2:

you cannot compare anything on a Terminator with a 2V