Mustang guys please help!

The girlfriend is about to go home in her 95 6cyl 'stang. There are two problems;
1.)There’s a broken flexible hose, easy fix I know, but I just wanna know if she’ll be ok driving 5hrs home without fixing it. (it’s the first pic)

2.) The steering has started making a whining noise, my first thought was power steering. However it sounds more like rubber on metal, and its coming from much lower on the car. The second picture is the general area that the noise is coming from. It looks like some connection from the steering wheel through the firewall. The sound is coming from lower than where the picture shows, But I dont have time to get it on jacks and see where exactly the noise is coming from. Once again is she going to be alright driving 5 hrs home?

well, my own personal opinion is dont let her go without getting both problems taken care of. I never go out out on a road trip of any distance without making sure my car is all set to go and all of the maintenance is done on it. Then again, there are people who drive total shitboxes that are falling apart across the country and back without problems.

if anything, id at least get the steering issue resolved…with the cooling system, the worst that can happen is the car overheats or something. if the steering system fails, well then you’re compromising the safety of the driver and others on the road.

I would love to fix them, the hose is quick and easy, but i dont know what im messing with. The steering, im clueless, i know almost nothing but general knowledge about this car.

What is the hose attached to?

Have you tried adding PS fluid to the reservoir?

this is so ass backwards. It’s not like if your power steering goes, you can’t steer. If you overheat, you run the risk of warping the heads and destroying the engine, especially if it’s a girl because they NEVER look at the gauges.

well based on what he took a picture of and what he said it looks like it may be coming from, i was thinking it was more along the lines of something connecting the steering collum to the rack. but otherwise i agree with you if is an issue with the power steering then i would focus on the colling system repair. i would still try and have both fixed though.

add 2to 4oz oh honda powersteering fluid to it it will make it quiet again unless you have a leak. its a common ford thing. as folr the hose take 2 mins to fix it. it looks like part of the evap systmy. it may make it better on gas as well

When was it determined that there was a cooling problem? :gotme:

Start by checking the power steering fluid level. Then start the car and put your finger where the cut is to see if you can feel a vaccuum.

my240nissan, this doesnt apper to be coming from anywhere near the PS pump or the Resevoir, still possibly low?

admittedly i didnt check the PS fluid level because the sound is coming from almost underneath the car. and yea i was just too lazy to deal with the hose since she showed me it in the parking lot at UB.

Bikerfry there is vac coming from that broken line, and when i plug it the engine dies, didnt think it was a huge deal since she drove it on the highway to school.

BTW there is no cooling problem i dont know where that came from.

ford 3.8 are notorius for head gaskets. br careful if you catch it early enough it can be fixed like newman said girls dont check things they just drive it untill it is fubar

your rack may be starting to wear causing the noise. also salt dries out rubber. it may just be you need to wash the salt out

Yeah thats what I was wondering.

When you say whine, first thing you think of is PS fluid is low. But it could be the tie rod ends, or perhaps the bushings in the steering rack that connect it to the chassis.

OK so she’s got a broken vac line. Good. No cooling problem. If the car’s running OK then it might just operate the EGR or something. She should be fine driving it like that short term.

Check/top off the power steering fluid and see if the noise goes away. If it does then she can drive home because the worst thing that can happen is she loses power steering.

!!!Just warn her not to take any turns fast after she’s been driving a while. If the fluid leaks enough while she’s just cruising down the highway and she then proceeds to try to make a turn with one hand she could end up going straight into something when she can’t turn the car fast enough. Just warn her that the steering wheel might get all stiff all of a sudden.

If topping off the fluid doesn’t work, then she should probably get that looked at and/or fixed before a 500 mile drive.

Yes, thank you, pretty much what I told her when I thought it was a PS problem.

Big thanks to Bikerfry even bigger thanks to my240nissan.

wow…yeah i really don’t know where i got that from.

Beleive that line goes to the vapor (charcoal) canister, might smell some gas fumes when shut off.

uh guys.

This mustang does not take power steering fluid. It takes mercon transmission fluid in the power steering system.

Check the owners manual…

I recommend you flush the system (turkey baster method). You can buy a gallon of supertech walmart trans fluid for like 7 bucks. You need about a gallon of fluid to flush it through and get it clean.

Suck the fluid out with the turkey baster, fill with fresh fluid, put the cap back on, start the car, crank the wheel back and forth to activate the pump. Shut the car off, suck the fluid out and repeat.

If you get all that black shitty fluid out of it, the power steering pump will not whine (assuming its not damaged).

If you were keeping the car, I’d say to use mercon V semi synthetic fluid, but for your purposes, mercon is fine.

also fix that hose, any air leak after the maf is going to make the car run like shit. Especially a hose disconnected.

ok. help me then. I dont understand why the steering still makes the noise with the car shut off.

Oh and the the hose has been fixed, temporarily at least. Its pretty dried out and it’ll need to be replaced soon.

yes it takes tranny fluid but you still can add hoda fluid