??? Muzzle Brakes / Flash Hiders ???

I prolly should know this but in New York can we have Muzzle Brakes and/or Flash Hiders on an AR15 (S&W M&P15). If so do we know any very friendly machine shops who can machine threads on the end of my barrel to allow me to screw one on?

No flash hiders, but muzzle brakes are ok as kind as they are permanently fixed, if I recall.

No threaded barrels allowed on ARs. (piston grip and threaded barrel make it an assault weapon)

check nyfirearms.com they have a list of all the laws.

Why doesnt “Don’t ask Don’t tell” work on firearms in this damn state

You can have a muzzle brake. You can’t have a flash hider and you can’t have a muzzle brake the is also a flash hider (rare but hard to come across) You have to be able to prove usually via paperwork from the manufacturer that the item is a muzzle brake only if it ever comes into question. On top of all of the the muzzle brake has to be permanently attached to the barrel be either welding it directly to the barrel which i dont recommend (looks like shit and the heat can warp and ruin the barrel. Typical you adjust them until straight on the barrel then you drill the muzzle brake and install a roll pin which is then tack welded so the it can be removed and the muzzle brake can’t be wrenched off.

I have had a couple barrels machine by these guys. Great work and fast turnaround

http://www.jpgrips.com/

I swear Ive heard that putting a potato on the barrel muffles the sound

get out of this thread you have no business here. Negativity and suicidal tendencies don’t mix with firearms.

I dont own any guns other than a pellet pistol that wont kill a chipmunk but Ive shot my brother’s guns before- .22 and 30*6.

I have a break on my savage. Had the barrel threaded at “the gun shop” in Amsterdam. It screws on and off but its lock tighted on so you have to heat the barrel up to take it off. I don’t ever plan on taking it off. A lot of the ones for AR’s are clamp on.

depending on the rifle you can have a threaded barrel. Every AR has a pistol and grip and a detachable mag. You cant have more the two “evil” features as nys calls it. its a laundry list of bs really. its suppose to make soccer moms feel wet and warm.

but can you have a threaded barrel with the muzzle brake permanently attatched? i think ive seen them sold locally at gun stores this way.

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

if your barrel is threaded with a muzzle brake permanently attatched, can it be considered able to accommodate a flash suppressor?

edit: further down i think i found the answer…

The ATF technology branch determined in 1994 that muzzle brakes were not impacted by the AWB, and that muzzle brakes on threaded barrels were not an assault weapon feature, so long as they were welded or soldered in place.

so you can have a threaded barrel in NY on an ar but you better have a muzzle brake permanently attatched.

I know it was posted earlier, but seriously if you are looking for rules and regulations for firearms in NYS go to NYFirearms.com you will get all your answers there.

correct i stated that previously in a couple posts up.

I believe the technicality applies that even if you do have a telescopic/collapsible stock on the rifle but it is permanently pinned and fixed, it’s considered a fixed stock and doesn’t apply towards the rules thus allowing two mods… How well that would wash with authorities I’m unsure of.

However considering that AR’s already have a pistol grip it technically only leaves you with one free “slot” to play with, and I know of a few local guns that have more goodies on them than they should :lol

JVG, I just pinned your Magpul stock here, lolz

leaves none. Pistol grip and detachable magazine. 2 down, 0 left.

you stated about the fixed brake but never said it was ok to have a threaded barrel in NY.

i still have a few uppers i need to get to you for muzzle brake changing.

Those were threaded barrels that just needed brakes swapped over/change correct? I forget.

yes sir. ive been lazy. have at least 2 ill have you do. need to decide on the brake though.