my 71 honda cb350 bobber build......(finished pics pg 7)

dammit, I thought I was going to be one of the only ones with a classic bike build this winter lol, I finally found a good motor for mine so hopefully I can whip it all together soon. I like the OG honda tank, but would like to see the sportster tank on there as well. The way I got my motor free’d up when I bought my CB550 was marvel mystery oil twice a day down the plug holes for about two weeks, and then I ran next to the bike down the street and popped it into gear. Coincidentally I have no compression in two cylinders. It ran though lol.

looks sweet.

also can’t help but to notice that sexy B16 cable tranny in your pics :wink:

hmmm, ive decided to make some slight frame changes and probably mock up some handle bars tonight after changing the frame angles. Im gunna have to re angle some stuff for better ground clearance and stuff.

Its getting sold VERY soon to fund for my gas tank.:smiley:

john looks awesome. We can ride this summer! I want to pick up a old cruiser too. maybe after the e30 is done ha ha.

i see what you mean jonny…
if you keep the backbone straight(2)
it will bring the ground clearance up and put less rake on the bars(1)
i think the bike will be alot more level (3)

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/breetimejay/1126082040.jpg

gotta eat a bird ill be back in sec

def. check out forums.sohc4.net…TONS of info and die-hard OG honda guys there. its almost entirely SOHC vintage hondas, and tons of inspirational build threads.

yea, im gunna reconfigure some stuff. Nothing the old lincoln cant fix right? lol later if you swing by we can get dirty and chop somemore stuff.

Looks sweet so far, nice little project.

ill be over later.if the guy isnt busy tonight im going to get my bike over your place…
maybe you cna help me put it in the back of a u-haul…ahahhaha

well, jay and myself made some frame changes. Here is what we are stuck with. Id like to thank honda for NOT making there frames symetrical from left and right and making it a huuuge pita to try to convert rigid without lookin goofy and crooked as all fuck.

this is what i will work with. Frame is super close to the chain so ill have to see if it rubs after i get it lengthened.

I still need to add in bracing and brackets and finish welding the frame. This is def not a show bike.lol

^^^
i think if we were to wear leather vests while doing all the fab work it would just fall into place

added some braces. final position of seat and rear fender (formely front) is now mounted.

I dont think this motor is gunna budge free on its own.lol anyone wanna rering it for me on the cheap while I finish up the frame and such?

Is it just me or does the new rigid section you welded in look twisted. On the lower portion where you added braces. Sometimes when you weld a frame and it isnt done in a jig it can pull and twist. Perhaps it’s just the picture but it really looks twisted

like i said, cb honda frames are not symetrical from left to right. meaning the right side do to engine alignment is a good 1-2in lower then the left side stock to cradel the engine. so i had to turn up the right side to match the left side so they both had a ending height of 4.25inches right before the angle back up to the rear. so in result the right side has a slight up angle to match thd height of the left side to make it symetrical before i ran it to the rear.

does that make sense? its kind hard to explain.

Sorry for my john madden drawing here lol

Wouldnt you be able to cut the frame where it is circled, and then start the split of the frame the section after with fresh pipe to make the frame symetrical? or would this throw off the placement of the motor and such on the frame?

or maybe cut the frame a litte before your new welds, bend the frame to make it symetrical, and the weld in brace plates at the bends

edit: sorry i actually just took the time to read what you said lol, so the problem lies within (idk what its called), where the rear sproket/axle/wheel/hub is held because of the bends of the original frame?

yea, if i were to cut the frame i might as well have built my own frame.:frowning: which at this point im not far from. I didnt wanna mess with the frame where the engine mounts because i didnt wanna mess with the sprocket alignments. Not that i couldnt but i have a habbit of everdoing shit and i just wanted to keep this simple. Maybe my next build ill start with my own frame or a bike with a frame to begin with like an old triumph twin.

yea it doesnt really look “goofy” its just because of how it is stretched, im sure you could cover it up somehow if it was that important.

this is a pretty badass custom exhaust :lol:

yea, the battery is going there and ill probably stretch some sorta cloth over the area as well. maybe i can relocate all the igntion shit there but i may have to eliminate it. Unfortunately the magneto kit used to eliminate all the ignition bullshit costs $650.00. So ill have to make sure this is what im gunna stick with first.