My cars no start probblem...

I posted a few weeks back about my car not starting unless you reset the PCM…then it starts for a couple hours and won’t start again…

I had a buddy come over with a scan tool today…

Check engine light is on…go to pull codes…no codes show up…so we clear codes and check engine light goes off car starts right up…

I know some cars have weird issues like this when the battery starts to go and this is 4 years old battery…

Any ideas?

oh yea and its not the crank sensor.

Buy a faster car

:lol: jk

Check engine light was on but no codes? Yes somehow clearing the non-existent codes allowed the car to start right up?

I’d start by trying another scanner because something seems wrong there. I’m still pretty green with this OBDII stuff but it seems that if the light is on there should be some kind of code.

What about a faulty PCM, doesn’t make sense that the SES will go on but yet the PCM is showing no codes.

isnt the check engine light just a emmissions violation? im getting away from cars and into bikes now im not sure

yes. did you check for history codes? or pending codes? also is there a missfire? the only codes that will show up before 2 drive cylces is a condition that will destroy the cats (whether theyre actually there or not). itd be kinda dumb to throw a lot of money at a PCM unless your sure thats whats wrong with it. if it were a bad battery it wouldnt start just because codes were reset.

Im gonna give you a call this weekened…

I did a lot of research someone had something similar to this happened when a cell in their battery died…it would fuck with the voltage enough when cranking to get the computer to fuck up.

ive had a similar problem when i had my truck… it would start sometimes and other times nothing at all, and it wasnt like a slow dead battry crack it would fire right up or dead no inbetween, it was my battery, you got a extra one to swap and try?

or a voltmeter

Im gonna go buy a battery after work…I have had the car 4 years…so I know its atleast that old.

why not just try another battery - seems like the cheapest most obvious test you can do…just take one from your moms car or something to try before buying one :stuck_out_tongue:

The firebird requires a serious battery…cuz its SIQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

AA’s?

2 of em, plus a 9 volt.

:ohnoes:

:word: :lol:

You guys are hilarious. I had a similar problem with a dead cell in the battery, definitely try the battery first.

LS1s use 4 nickel batteries :fyi:

if it is the issue it is because the crank sensor needs to see i believe at least 10.7-8 volts before it will allow access to the almighty ellis juan.

^^^true true but its still odd it starts sometime and sometimes not

Im gonna throw a battery in it tonight or tomorrow morning…