My Dad's 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo (951)

Well…its not really my ride…but its in my family, so i thought id share :stuck_out_tongue:

Back in the year 1985, my dad drove his first Porsche, a 1983 Porsche 944 NA. He loved the car. It handled well, and for an NA 4 cylinder 80s car, had a decent amount of power. But didn’t have the finances at the time to buy one.

15 years later in 2000, he found his perfect Porsche. A 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo (951) S 5spd manual. (This car was not badged an S model due to quantity distribution, but actually came with all the Turbo S features, technically making it a turbo S) He loved the car. Only a year later in 2001, he did his first track event with the car.

After tracking his street car only 3 times, he decided he didn’t want to risk his beautiful car, and in 2003 bought his second Porsche, a 1988 944 Turbo 5spd manual. (Also the “disguised” S model)

After years of track events, both my dad and the car have moved up through the ranks. My dad is an instructor for the Porsche Club of America for UCR (Upper Canada Region) and Hudson Champlain region. The car has also gone from an 80s German sportscar, to an all out track monster.

Stock from the factory, these cars came with:
-2.5L turbocharged and intercooled engine
-247BHP 260ft-lbs torque
-0-60 in 5.4 seconds
-1/4 mile in 13.9s @101mph
-Top speed of 163mph
-Koni adjustable front and rear suspension
-ABS
-An MSRP (in 1988-9) of $48,000

3 years ago, he had this car dyno’d at 290Rwhp. Since then, he has built and balanced the motor, added the slot for the intercooler, added the custom ram air intake, and added a header. After these mods, we are guesstimating somewhere between 300-320Rwhp.

Today, the list of mods is as follows:
Engine:
-balanced and built motor (balance shaft delete)
-built factory turbo
-Lindsey manual boost controller
-Blaszak Motorsports custom ceramic clutch and lightweight flywheel
-Max HP performance chip at 19 psi
-custom ram air intake
-MAF sensor conversion
-Billy Boy header
-3" up and down pipes
-3" catless straight piped exhaust (Magnaflow straight thru high flow muffler)
-Lindsey duelport wastegate
-custom intercooler slot
-decked the block
-A/C delete
-alternator relocation (lower center of gravity)
-lightweight compact battery
-LSD rear transaxle with cooler

Interior:
-short throw shifter
-Kirkey racing seats
-half cage roll bar
-G-force 6 point harness
-stripped (except dash and doors)
-2700lbs
-Wideband afr gauge
-boost gauge
-heel-toe pedal setup

Suspension/brakes/tires:
-Leda racing coilovers, Hypercoil 550lbs springs (front)
-Sanders Engineering 34mm 450lbs torsion bar (rear)
-Weltmeister rear sway bar
-camber:3 degrees, caster:5 degrees, toe:0
-Blaszak Motorsports custom spirical bearing control arms
-Blaszak Motorsports custom front strut tower brace
-Big Red 4pot (front) 2pot (rear) calipers
-Frozen Rotors slotted rotors
-Hawk HT10 brake pads
-Brake-Guard brake equalizer
-Hankook Ventus racing slicks 275/40/17 (rear), 225/45/17 (fronts)

This winter he will be having his transmission rebuilt by his good friend (Blaszak motorsports) with a higher final drive gear, and replacing the head gaskets.

Table of contents:
Post 2-pics

not a single link on post #2 is active.

Need to take out the width and height after the img code

yea i figured thats the problem…but im not allowed to edit posts yet. how many posts do you need to do that? (other forums i use dont require any)

Idk vlad likes to be gay sometimes and change all the forum rules. Just something you have to deal with if you want to stay here :lol
<3 you vlad (no homo)

Should be fixed now!

^^thanks! images fixed :slight_smile:

Very clean.

Did your fathers hobby get you involved as well? You ever track that thing?

Seems like a very balanced build with healthy numbers, I would love to take it out for a spin.

i have only driven it in the driveway XD yes it got me involved. i used to not care about cars at all until literally the day i got my permit. hahaha i tracked my moms car (same one except street car and mostly stock…has a tuned chip) and its super fun. i cant imagine driving this tank. he says maybe once i get to the white run group (goes IDS->Green->Yellow->White->Black->Red (instructor=my dad and uncle)) it usually takes a year to 2 years to move up a group, depending on how often you track and how much you learn and improve.

Where do you go?

Assuming you only go with PCA?

I have never tracked a car but I know on the bike side you can move up a lot quicker than every 2 years, then again every school is different and your own dad might be harder on you then the rest.

well i dont use him for an instructor…he actually made sure i didnt get my uncle either. its more around a year, but it also varies on events per year. ive only done 1 event sofar and went to Shannonville (in canada) and plan on doing Mosport (canada) and watkins glen, and maybe a little limerock next year. IDS is one day to move up, and im hoping to get to yellow mid next summer. ive already got heel-towing down pretty well :slight_smile: they give you a little booklet explaining the requirements to move up. ill post it sometime

All good choices. Assuming you are someplace in central NY you need to make the trip up to Calabogie in Canadia as well.

I may be smoking crack, but I could have sworn I’ve seen this car either on Pelican or Six speed online.

Love the 951’s. When I sold my S2 I almost bought one of these to replace it weeks after because I missed the car so much. Bought an 88’ 2.5 and banked the cash instead.

Love the look of this car though.

Berne ny and idk if my dad still does calabogie. He has once of twice so we’ll see. He trailers this car and ill probably follow him up in my moms car. I was actually gonna mention calabogie but figured people will be like wtf? lol and since shannonville is farther then mosport, it will hopefully be on the list!

Edit: ^^the guy who runs autoX for PCA has an NA 944…he WHIPS that thing. like its crazy! lol they’re amazing little cars, especially for their time. Like you could literally compare it (HP wise) to a newer ish wrx.

this is soo much cooler than your suby, but your suby is cool dont get me wrong. this is just alot cooler.

i like people who race around turns, and not just in straight lines.

haha dont worry i think its cooler too :stuck_out_tongue: and dont worry…my subie isnt gonna be a straight line car :wink:

dont worry im not too worried

Is he gonna race it?

:lol

he doesnt race…he does the DE performance driving. so its all non competitive. you can have a little NA 944 be in the same group as a GT2 RS because its all about the driver. my dad and uncle are both instructors which is the highest group. he likes that this is non competitive, but he can still run it as hard as he wants/can into corners. its pretty much like racing, except theres no positions and timing or anything making it competitive.