My DIY projects

So I have a couple welders now… and I’m going to be practicing a lot on different little projects around the house and garage before I do any work on anything else.

I will be redoing a piece of intercooler piping soon… so I wanted to do it the right way when I remake it. I read on a DSM forum how to make a bead roller for the ends of intercooler pipes (so the couplers cannot slip off) out of some stuff commonly found in the garage.

I used an older pair of vise grips, an exhaust clamp the same diameter as my IC piping (2.25"), and a large washer

Then weld the pieces together so that exhaust clamp and washer are attached to the vise grips in a way that the washer gets clamped inside the exhaust clamp. All materials were cleaned before welding

Here it is clamped onto a 3" pipe. Doesn’t fit too well haha

I will post up an update when I get the properly sized piping.

I like that!

Any pictures of the final product?

Didn’t really do anything with the 3" tubing. I can try it on some stainless… brb

Here it is with the 3" tube… hurt my hands to do this ha. The left side is untouched… hit the right side with one pass and started a 2nd pass.

First tig welds on steel

Where I’m at now (few hours practice)

First aluminum tig welds

NICE. I like DIY.

Looks like dimes to me lol. Good work.

Actually looks really good buddy

I’ve got a semi! Love the bead roller. Nice work sir Lance.

I dont think that will ever bend stainless 16ga, but aluminum it should with some elbow grease. no reason it wont!

I found a cheap bead roll die set on ebay. I have simple plans to make a bench/crank one. female die on a bearing block with a big fine tooth bolt for tension adjustment. Then a tool steel shaft, through a bearing block and the male die with a large handle. cool little project, I have to get on at some point.

good start man with the tig. you will love that machine the more you get used to it.

Steel sucks actually tigging, IMO aluminum is easier. have fun!

Just tig a bead on the pipe

what tig machine is it??? i’m going to need one here shortly :frowning:

he got the same one I did, ThermalArc arcmaster 185.

where’d you get that? how much i need?

looks decent, using foot or hand control?

foot

made strides on aluminum today… gotta order more materials… got a new project coming up that some of you may like

it doesn’t appear that you are cleaning any of the practice materials before welding? this will help you tremendously.

metal prep is 80% of the final product if not more.