My DIY projects

Damn I thought my welds were shitty looking

I see he scuffed some of the aluminum work he did, thats good. but yeah def need to clean the living piss out of everything you ever tig. Aluminum, steels, everything. All the shit on the metal, spatters all over, and up into your tungsten, gunking it up and fucking up the weld arc too.

If its not clean enough to lick or eat off, its not ready to weld.

with aluminum you can use the clean/dig setting on your welder to break up the oxide on the surface, helps a lot on less than clean metal.

with mild steel, you simply have to clean the scale off if you want anything besides pooo streaks.

EN setting like he said.

for those who dont understand AC welding. AC is alternating current, the machine’s arc switches from the tungsten + (welding torch) to work piece - very fast. The + (from torch to work) is what creates the puddle. The - (from work to torch) is what “lifts” the oxide layer of aluminum off the work. The better machines can adjust the % of how much - (EN or electrode neg.) it runs at. The more EN the more cleaning, but naturally the less penetration. So its a balance. The white shit around the sides of a aluminum weld bead is the cleaning action you can see after the fact. A MM or so of white shit around the weld bead is idea… any more is too much EN and wasted penetration. The downside to also cranking in a ton of EN, is even on inverter machines the tungsten will ball up more (transformers do this anyways, it just gets worse) and makes the arc not as stable. Also the more heat into the tungsten it can actually fail and fall off into the work.

lil ac welding 101 for yah

sooo which one of you metal masters wants to make me a skid plate?

I can dump some heat into some 1/4" 6061 for ya! PM’d you bro!

I didn’t really clean the practice pieces… but I clean the shit out of anything I want to actually make. Today I built something kinda cool

Aluminum bracket for S2000 office chair

hellagay

Lol lets see what you can make, besides a sandwhich… I can wait i have a feeling it will be awhile

Why have the sliders on it? :rofl

cause he wants to use it still when his car is ready, i asked the same question. plus it give you an easy mounting surface. sat in today thing leans back so far

Cant you unbolt the sliders from the seat?

yea but with the sliders its a flat surface without sliders would be alot more work