My Finger Lake Wine Trail Experience...

First off, I’d like to state that I am in no way, shape, or form a wine drinker. I prefer to sit down with a nice, cold, hoppy, and generally undrinkable brew over a fancy glass of wine.

But alas, here I found myself traveling down the 390S on my way to what I assumed would be an utterly disastrous day trip into the heart of the unknown.

What is this normally unrefined, beer drinking, suburbanite doing in a region known predominantly for it’s fine Rieslings, Chardonnays, and Rkatsiteli wines? The answer is in the occasion, which for lack of a better word was my girlfriend’s birthday. (This is normally when the women go “ohh” and “ahh”)

To start the trip, we left the Northtowns around 9:00am, figuring a usually drive of around 2 hours would sit us in the wine region around lunch time.

Our first stop: Dr. Konstantin Frank’s Winery. A world renowned winery known for it’s Rieslings, which might I add, have been featured in Martha Stewart Living Magazine (more “ohhs” and "ahh"s, women)

Our view from the tasting room, which had just been rebuilt due to a fire, was absolutely amazing. I might add that the weather, a calm and cool 74 degrees, and sunshine only added to the beautiful views we’d be taking in on our trip.

Wines we tasted at Dr. Konstantin Franks:

-Chateau Frank Blanc de Blanc
-Chateau Frank Celebre
-Cabernet Sauvignon
-Gewürztraminer Reserve
-Pinot Noir

I’d also like to add in the small detail, one I seem to have overlooked in my description. The wine tasting was quite affordable, as in…FREE, affordable. The best price available, in my opinion.

Feeling good about ourselves, and after spending some time in the gift shop, we departed Dr. Konstantin Frank’s for Bully Hill Winery, for a much anticipated lunch over looking Keuka Lake.

I regret to say I did not take pictures of our meal, but let me make this clear…

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I’d have to rate our meal at an 11. If you make your way to Bully Hill, I highly recommend the signature dish.

Grilled Portabella Mushroom steak, topped with a perfectly seasoned Maryland Crab Cake, topped yet another time with fresh, absolutely perfectly cooked Diver scallops, served with a garden green cucumber salad with made to order Red Wine Vinaigrette, and a side a molasses seasoned fries.

Folks…it was to die for.

Our desert, which I was easily persuaded into ordering, was a Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cheesecake, with a Coca-Peanut Butter glaze on the side, so good, and the portion was enough to feed a family.

The total for our meal, a mere $48 for two, which considering we had two glasses of wine, seafood, and desert, not a bad deal. Not a bad deal at all.

Next on our visit to Bully Hill was the wine tasting tour, which was energetic and fun filled, due in part to our retired school teacher, turned wine tour guide, named John. Included for $5 was a Bully Hill wine glass, which wasn’t too bad, considering the normal price of $2 for a regular tasting.

Wines we had at Bully Hill:

-Chardonel
-Seyval Blanc (a rare white wine)
-Growers Riesling
-Spring White
-Sweet Walter Rose

The wine shop, several bottles purchased later, concluded our trip to Bully Hill. Our next stop was up the road, to Heron Hill Winery.

Heron Hill I must say is beautiful, set back on a hill over-looking the lake, it has the look of an old Italian villa, with not only a gorgeous exterior but a wine tasting room nationally noted for being very picturesque, I was in for a treat.

The price for heron hill was $5 for a selection of 6 wines. Our tasting was a little bit more though, after all was said and done, we had tasted 9 wines, and had not paid a single penny. How? You might ask?

Conversation.

Our tasting host was very nice and after a few tastings, we asked questions about the wine, and honestly, I had a true interest in knowing more about the process and flavors I could expect to taste. She was more than willing to let us sample more wines, and when it came to pay for the tasting, she gratefully declined and told us it was on the house.

Heron Hill, you make the grade.

Wines tasted at Heron Hill:

-Dry Riesling
-Semi-Dry Riesling
-Sweet Riesling
-Game Bird Red
-Game Bird Blush
-Blaufrankisch Reserve
-Old Vines Riesling Reserve
-Eclipse Red
-Eclipse White

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Not to be outdone by this fancy, almost surreal experience, I had pleased the girlfriend JUST ENOUGH to make my way to Keuka Brewing Company.

After entering the tasting room, I was welcomed by the spicy scent of hops, malt, and a familiar “beer room” smell that I had grown to love.

I was home.

The beer sampler was $3 for 5 microbrews, which let me tell you, were excellent.

Brews on tap:

-White Cap Wheat
-Briglin Road Red
-Hoppy Laker IPA
-Full Sail Stout Ale
-Bluff Point Brown

But wait, that’s not all. After making friends with not only the brewmaster, but a few locals as well, I had the opportunity to sample two new brews that were being developed, one being the Double IPA, and a Double Bach. Both were due to be released in late September, and I was fortunate enough to sample each one…quite a bit lol.

The one local by the name of Steve was the son of the local grocery store owner’s in Hammondsport, the town at the southern tip of Lake Keuka. He was a very friendly individual and after talking about beer for almost 45 mins, he told us of a restaurant to try in the heart of the town.

The Bloc Italian Bistro.

Now, normally I would just say “Ah, okay thanks” for the suggestion but he sold me on a interested tip.

Sit in the basement, order a fresh on tap Ommeggan Whit, and get the white truffle oil pizza.

Interesting, I thought to myself. Do I trust his word?

…He couldn’t have been more right.

BUT, before leaving the parking lot, Steve comes running out of the brewery with two bottles in his hand…

Turns out he has some connections with good beer, being his family’s grocery store carries a VAST amount of beer.

The two bottles…absolutely amazing.

Ah, and that pizza he said to get:

Flatbread pizza, white truffle oil and fresh garlic sauce, pecorini cheese and wild mushrooms with a balsamic glaze…

I am a changed man.

Who would have thought that stuff is right in our backyard? I think that most NY wines are shit, especially Bully Hill, but honestly I would go just for the experience.

Looks like a really nice time…

Pinkies out!!!

bully hill wine sucks, mmmmm table wine :puke:

but it looks like a good time man. that za looks wacky but delicious

def want to check this out, but i would want a limo or a cab or something

FYI: The finger lakes region alone has more than 75 wineries.

You’re trying too hard.

…yes Walter, enlighten me with your outstanding wisdom and commentary.

I’ll wait.

I like the Dr. Franks, surpising how many wine lists you will find it on in resturants.

Nice review. Was this just one day trip or did you stay over anywhere? I’ve never done a wine tour before but this has always been an idea of mine for the lady. Did you pre-pick these wineries?

It was just a day trip, we managed to do all of this from 9am to 8:30pm, including driving.

Honestly, I was wine tasting’ed out after Heron Hill, hence the brewery pit-stop. I had such a great time though, and it made the girlfriend feel like a million dollars so it was a win-win situation.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

Also, yes I did pre-pick these wineries.

Very nice, if I ever move back to NY it will be for a lake house on one of the finger lakes. I absolutely love that area.

I find a lot of Bully Hill wines to be GREAT for <$10 bottles. They have so many different choices you just need to find some you like. Dr. Franks has a lot of wines I enjoy as well.

Some nice pics. That’s a great time, next go-round hit up Seneca Lake. Vino abounds :tup:

Very nice, if I ever move back to NY it will be for a lake house on one of the finger lakes. I absolutely love that area.

Amen. :wink:

May seem like a dumb question but can you just simply show up at these places? I have the week off and after reading this I WANT to go do this tomorrow.

So were you offered a 3some with a hot friend that night? I would think that would be appropriate compensation for this.

Yeah, no reservations for the tastings, if you do dinner though, make sure you have a reservation, lunch was walk-in though.

And Joe, hot friend was not found…it’s a very sad fact I’ve come to realize with her lol.

:frowning:

You’re such a woman. You’re buying a katana next right?

lol, you missed a good time saturday. My two friends thought it’d be sweet to take fresh jalapenos from my garden and eat the whole thing in 1 bite. We had to take a half hour “milk and bread” break from the drinking to get them back on track.

Wow small world! :slight_smile: I actually used to be the Marketing and PR director for Dr. Franks about 5 years or so ago. Great winery with tons of tradition and history and a gorgeous area :slight_smile: Good picks on the wineries man!

Thanks dude, I definitely had an awesome time!

And Ryan I was so pissed I worked Saturday, I NEVER work Saturdays lol.

I’m sold. Good read.
Head up north and compare the 2 for me. I loved our trip to NOTL.