My new E23 1984 BMW 733i

So I picked up my 1984 733i. I got it for a steal, and is going to require less work than I expected, so I am pretty stoked.

It’s got a M30/Auto, and SaphirBlau Metallic paint over a blue interior. She started up with about 5 minutes of charging on a jump with old gas. All the power equipment works as far as I could tell, except the driver’s side power headrest and passenger side power windows.

Work she’s going to need:

-New shift cable or adjustment (R is park, N is reverse, D is neutral, etc.)
-New shifter handle, knob is loose and trigger is stuck in the up position
-New exhaust from just infront of the cat pretty much all the way back
-New rotors/pads, current set up works, but must be pushed to the floor and is very bumpy
-Passenger side power windows fixed
-Driver’s side power headrest is dead
-Driver’s side rear headrest is split at seams
-Paint (Shotty paintjob last time around, it was a garage job, and is peeling off)
-Rust. There is a dime size bubble on the driver’s side front 1/4 panel, a half dollar size bubble on passenger side front 1/4, and a dime size bubble in rear passenger side fender lip.
-Dash Cap, since original is cracked
-A good detail inside, and it will be half decent.
-Paint black plastic trim
-Maybe dye the leather.

Already Done:

-Sony Headunit and speakers (still have to determine if they are functional or not)
-New Plug wires, cap, and rotor
-Dyed carpets
-Tires. Year old Bridgestone Potenzas
-Sweet clear purple wind deflector for power moonroof

Came with:

-Original 1984 733i Options, Features, and Specs catalog in plastic sleeve
-Original Owner’s Manual
-Chilton Repair Manual

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/TheOneStar00/041208_1355a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/TheOneStar00/041208_1354a.jpg
Crappy phone pictures. I left my camera at home when I went to pick it up, better pics to come.

EDIT
Better Pictures. Gave it a bath today, not so much of an eyesore for the neighbors anymore.

wonder what the fuel milage is going to be in that tank…

Looks better than I thought it would, good pickup.

Oh and it looks like the hood doesn’t sit quite flush with the passenger side front fender.

I’m digging the KGB staff car. Nice looking car, looks like you don’t have that much to do to get it right and ready.

What color are you going to paint it (I assume you are painting it since it is peeling off)

It wasn’t latched, and it flips forward. It sits flush when it’s latched.

Not sure what I’m going paint it, but since the rust is below the trim line, and the paint is peeling off above the upper line in the body, I may just get the top and bottom painted dark blue.

LOL.

It does sit flush when latched. It flips forward.

I think all it may need is the brakes, exhaust, and the shifter fixed (the reverse lights come on in park, because R = Park) to pass inspection. There are no holes in the body or anything. Lights all work, too! I don’t know what a KGB staff car is, though.

Since the little rust spots are below the lower black trim line, and it’s peeling off above the ridge in the body (Primarily hood, roof, and deck lid), I may just get the top and bottom painted in time, I’m in no hurry. I’m thinking dark blue top and bottom.

A KGB car is the old Russian secret service.

I was hoping you would paint it black and get a real dark tint on the windows. That would fit the whole KGB/Mafia theme you’ve got going.

Haha. I have no mods planned, but if I keep it long enough I hope to drop it and stick newer style BMW wheels or something of the sort on it. But that would be way off at this point, main focus right now is inspection and drivability.

Yeah, black with black tint is a true KGB/mafia staff car, but any slant-front-grill BMW is close enough :slight_smile:

Maybe if I keep it long enough… something like this?

^ VERY nice!

see thats what I’m talking about!

What happened to the Audi?

I think he has both, but the Audi popped a timing belt (head damage)

Looks good Zach. Nice to see something different for a change.

Ahhh.

Looking great Zach! I love obscure cool cars.

Reminds me of Rocky IV (though I think the KGB there actually had a Benz)…you should get some flags like they run in motorcades, roll around diplomat style

Looking good dude!!

Bump. New/better pictures.

In the picture of the rear seat, the front seats are as far back as they can go. Nice and roomy.
The pictures of the rust are the only two spots on the body.

Update: Driver’s side mirror is fixed, thanks to a lovely product called JB Weld. It now has a battery, so the problems I wasn’t sure about are now confirmed. Current list:

1. Needs exhaust system from the cat back. It’s rusted off right after the cat, and has multiple holes, including some in the 2nd muffler.
  2. Needs new Shift cable (Broke the stock one adjusting it, it was rusted badly)
  3. HVAC controls/Blower Motor - either way, there is no A/C, Heat, or Defrost
  4. Parking lights… blinkers are bright, but the parking lights are dim, lighting up the wrong filament in the bulb
  5. Brakes - Needs pads and the rotors cut, or just new rotors.
  6. Driver’s side power headrest doesn’t work. The motor works, but the headrest doesn’t go up or down
  7. All fluids need changed, and something to quiet down the chatty valves. They sound nice and smooth though.
  8. Wiper blades. Has some old dried out ones.
  9. Speedo. It doesn’t work.
  10. Lights for the gauges - they don’t work either.
  11. All black plastic/rubber trim painted. A previous owner painted them with a BRUSH, and look like garbage.

Things that I’ve taken care of:

1. Passenger side power window. Now functions, but needs greased.
  2. Headunit works. Sony 20 x 4 CD player. The speakers sound like oversized headphone speakers… or awful in other words.
  3. Headlights, High beams, taillights, brakelights, turn signals, and reverse lights all work.
  4. Windshield wipers and pissers are functional.
  5. Replaced all blown fuses. Still need to find the “other” fuse box. I heard it’s in the kick panel on the driver’s side.

I can’t wait to get this tank on the road.