My new E23 1984 BMW 733i

What is your daily now?

The Audi… until this morning. Not sure what is wrong with it, but it’s been acting nutso since last night (MIL flashing, car shuddering at certain RPM’s under throttle, smelling like burning oil, and even LESS power than it has with a blown turbo - and it even shut down on me turning onto my street). I don’t know what the hell I’m going to do. Probably sell it and focus on the next car.

Is it an auto or manual? Are you sure your coilpack didn’t fail? That’s a pretty easy fix

Old, used German cars as DD’s FTL. You’ll learn sometime.

I’m assuming that’s what happened. That seems to be the consensus on AudiZine.

I learned 8 days after I bought the damn car. What I would do to have my Jeep back. :frowning:

I got a nice '04 GC Limited I might want to sell soon.

that’s far from the truth… I’ve daily driven German cars since I was 16… they just need maintained and, for longevity, unmodded.

There is the key. The P.O. was a ****head.

That’s just it. They need more maintenance & are usually much more expensive for parts/labor. If someone does not do their own work, they’ll have a small fortune invested to keep it running. I do all my own work, so I’d be less concerned if I had one myself. FYI - I love some of the older German cars, but they just aren’t for everyone. I’d love to get an older S Class Benz. But an old (80s-early 90s) Benz is probably about the most reliable (next to Porsche 911) German car made. Newer Benz’s (90s-2000’s) don’t have such a great track record. Older BMWs & Audi/VW seem less reliable even yet.

Most (and I mean most, not all) people who own them (as a status symbol) don’t do their own work and therefore will not be able to maintain the car as it should be maintained. In Zach’s case, he’s got 2 of them at the same time & the Beemer probably just needs so much more work, but the Audi keeps breaking down. Not a good situation for a DD.

I pulled each coil pack as the car was idling to see which one was dead. The 2nd one from the front had the engine running the same, while all of the others almost caused the engine to die. So I replaced that pack. Nothing changed, the car still runs like ****. So this is something bigger than a coilpack.

Did you scan the car for codes? Did you reset the codes after you installed the new coilpack? You can always unplug the battery for a few minutes to reset the ecu which will clear the codes as well.

I can’t check the codes. I can’t check anything through the OBD port - even with the headunit completely disconnected.

I bought a new ICM, and I’m putting it in tomorrow. That’s the only thing I can think of that would cause this.

Someone buy this BMW. I don’t have time to finish it, and need the money. $1100 OBO, make me an offer. If you offer over $800, I’d have a hard time turning it down.

I might just finish it. Can’t seem to get rid of it, might as well finish it the way I wanted to.