My new shift knob (printed on our 3d printer)

That looks perfect :tup:

ya, thats great with the green helmet and pink bow.

Dan

Yeah…got a little bored here at work. Not sure if you were going with one big chunk, and masking away with the paint…but here’s a possible way to go about building/constructing it to ensure a tight paint job…

Again…just my $.02

HAHAHAHAH, wtf program did you do that in?

I was just planning on brush painting it… lol.

i like this rendering…

I remember when Onyx’s little brother used to bring home handmade black dildos from Derrick. maybe you should use one of those as a shift knob…

Alias Sketchbook Pro. I have a 21" Wacom Cintique monitor that I use a stylus to draw directly on the screen…it’s a pretty sick set-up.

Here at work, I deal with small scale models daily. Routinely building 3D geometry, getting parts CNC’d/SLA’d/Eden’d/etc, painting, assembling, and using these models for when we show the product to our buyers. Many times our models will also be used as the photo model on the box that you would see on shelf at Target/Walmart/etc. I’d recommend building as individual parts if possible…makes for a much cleaner end product. With all the work you’ve done to this car it would be a shame to not have a crazy clean paint job on such a shift knob:)

you should make an oversized cavity to suspend it in, then fill that with a clear epoxy, allow it to harden, and then melt/chip off (or whatever) the outer layer.

Mike, I want a tour at FP when I come back.

I actually thought about doing something like that… I don’t know if i’d need to do a vac pump on it tho…

I’m sure if you really tried, you could figure out a semi-cheap way to make a mold and then just touch it up afterwards and paint it. Just get ready for the hundreds of messages from people asking you to make one for them…

Looks like it would be too light to me. I have a custom made shift knob and it weighs just a little more than 16 ounces. It really helps lessen the effort of the short shifter. I guess if you haven’t shortened your shifter then effort wouldn’t be a worry.

Awesome work right there. I can’t draw sh!t, except engineering stuff. Bah

Newman should make two, give one to outsource to china, have them pour it out of metal. Sell for profit.

so… I take it no one is quite sure how strong the plastic is?

glad to see you hard at work lol