My S2000 Build thread 56k beware

As you can see form these pics i have slugs welded into the cage for eyebolts.

Word. Loops not bolts!

The slugs in the gave are strong as shit… just that your relying on the sheer strength of the bolts. But its not like your racing nascar with it, and its going to be a show car quality build, and the slugs and eyelets look VERY nice and clean there through the plastic, I admit I love it. Just a tech inspector might not if it wasnt to the books 100%.

BUT if the eyelets plated to the body are sufficient I don’t see why they wouldn’t be in the harness bar… but I am no physicist.

I wouldnt worry about it honestly, and I think they will look killer on the slugs and through the plastic cover. and be more than sufficient for what your doing safety wise.

also on the pics, i assume its the angle of the camera, but they arnt offset from the seating location are they? IE they should come straight out the seat to the bar, not out the seat and angle to the sides. because in an impact it would actually pull on the seat and pull your shoulders to the sides not straight.

This isn’t a track car, but i think it should be more than safe. Considering that the mugen bolt in cage uses the same method (why i’m using their trim piece) and I’m using thicker tube, larger dia tube and also weldeding the entire thing in, i think i should be good. I went with the takata eye bolts

Yeah no doubt it will be more than sufficient for you, like you said its not going to see S2000 SPEC racing on 130mph road courses. its a nice driver!

Also that mugen bolt in isnt up to snuff then to pass NHRA, SCCA/FIA, etc.

doesnt matter really its a highquality build you have there, no way around that. :thumbup

Truth right here, that mugen thing is just as bad as the cusco “show” cages or whatever the hell they call them for subarus.

On a semi helpful note, where does your head come in relation to the cage? You mention you bought padding, assuming you are going to drive the car without a helmet I highly suggest getting the dual density SFI approved padding. It might give your head a chance to slow down a little bit before it hits the dense padding which is meant to be hit by a helmet.

3/22/2011
Very quick update. Just purchased (2) sets of Takata 4 point harnesses and gel pads. Still waiting for the buddy club seat rails to come in, as well as a set of driveshaft spacers, harness eyebolts and some real cf 3m material for a little custom project.

thats a waste man. plumb it into your charge pipe and make good use of it. whats with ricers and using nitrous to spray over the intercooler? what a waste of nitrous/$

yah really. Co2 does the same damn thing, for about $55 cheaper a bottle.

nos sounds so much faster than co2

yeah, and theres nothing like using some 1990s gimmick in the age of E85 and reliable meth kits

the n-ter-cooler sprayer was such a rice magnet. youre better off just running a tiny jet for a little shot and spraying it into your charge pipe… thall really cool it. negative IAT’s FTW

Haterz gonna hate

dude, 4-point belts are super sketchy, you might want to reconsider that decision

Takata belts are pretty well known for their quality. I would go as far to say “sketchy”. I can add a 5th or 5th and 6th point should I choose to since the camlock has a slot at the bottom tho

It has nothing to do with the manufacturer, it’s all about where your body goes during a wreck. With a 4-point you end up under the dash, stock 3-point > 4-point in terms of safety.

I am not sure if you have seen the pic posted of the seat but the posibility of submarining with that seat and a snug harness i find incredible unlikely.

I’m sure they’d be fine in a low speed accident, or anything that isn’t a high speed frontal impact. :rofl

Because there certainly wouldn’t be a reason why sanctioning bodies require a 5 or 6 point harness with fixed back race seats for racing and why most are not even allowing 4-point harnesses in driving schools if they don’t have an anti-sub mechanism (see Schroth for example) built in.

I’ve expressed my safety concern and now I am done, proceed as you wish.

I already have approved fixed back racing seats, and as i stated before i can add a 5th or 5th and 6th point to the harness at any time since it has a slot for the anti sub belt.

If you want to have a dick measuring contest just PM me, please don’t dirty up my build thread.

Guys around here have a nasty habit of doing that…

Looks great. Are you plannin on keepin the entire car black? Oh, and maybe I missed it, but are you keeping the top mechanical or returning it to electric?