NA Build KA versus SR

Hey all. This particular build will be going into my 510. At first I was looking at a KA24DE but just today I found someone with an SR20DE rwd with a sloped valve cover (S14)? I stopped and thought about things for a sec and figured the Silvia guys could help me best…and yes I have already considered turbo SR but for some reason I want to stay NA even though the dollar for dollar hp and blah blah blah.

What is better to build? Here is my criteria. I am a street driver wanting to have a bit of fun but not to the extent of wanting a role in F & F 3. I want to get the most out of a street motor. I am looking to run ITB’s and most likely an AEM computer. My highest octane would be sunoco 94. My Datsun weighs around 2000 to 2100lb’s, add a roll cage it came with, roughly 75 to 100 lbs in the weight difference of the new engine bay and I have about a 2250lb car. I AM NOT looking to gut the interior. Wikipedia claims the KA at 157hp and 160tq while the VVT SR is 163hp no torque figure listed.

My first idea was a KA24DE with a crower stroker kit. I have found several donor’s around $500 area. Stroker kit around $2000. I would attempt to get whatever i could with flywheel, cams, porting etc along with the stroker of 2.65 i believe. Thoughts on this setup please. What compression? This will be torquie correct, but how risky will high rpms be if i decide to zip it along the hwy? How much should i expect to safely lower redline? Your thoughts on power expectations.

Second idea is the SR20DE i saw today. It was RWD and had a sloped valvecover around $1000. Add a stroker kit (2.2?) plus all the bolt ons and what can I expect from this setup? Please more info to help me identify this is the correct motor i am assuming.

Am I just chasing displacement here? Obvious math choice favours a stroked KA (hell an OE KA over a stroked SR) but what about performance? How does the each engine like the stroker. I keep reading that 2.65L KA’s can be a ticking timebomb with that big stroke. I have been googling for quite a while now and cannot find much info on built up SR20de’s (did i just answer my own question?)

thanks in advance

Seann

i would do a ka24de swap it has more torque than the sr plus with a stroker kit it’ll be even more powerfull so KA FTW

people DE-stroke KA’s actually.

the SR has a 50/50 bore to stroke ratio, the KA already has a longer stroke than it has a bore, which gives it a shitty top end.

You should’nt stroke it. Waste of money anyway.

They don’t come with torque.

Go with the KA however you want, even out of the box they are fun on the street. If you only have 2200 lbs, a few bolt-ons will make it pretty fun, mod it a bit and you’ve got a wicked track/street car… assuming you’ve got the suspension to compliment.

build a dual cam ka and enjoy it turbo or other wise, if u primarily drive on the street sr’s suck balls… it’s a fact, they are only fun when giving them the foot any other time they are torqueless and boring. i’ve owned, driven and still own many high hp sr’s but for me i had more LEGAL fun on the street in a ka. it’s got the grunt low down where u need it for low rpm driving. hence the rb25 in the beater… gotta keep the lowend to make things fun imo.

I want to try and get between 220 to 240 rwhp which should give me roughly a 10:1 weight to hp ratio. I will need to stroke either engine for that high of a number. Anyone have experience with a stroked KA? What compression? Will a stroked SR get me my power goal a little more safely than the KA?

That’s gonna be really tough, I doubt anyone has broken 200whp on an N/A KA without it being absurdly high comp and needing race gas. Freshalloy and Zilvia have a lot more info on this than we do though, we mostly just hard park here.

Building a N/A KA will be a suckers game. Way too much money that will result in nothing spectacular.

no way will you break 200 with a NA KA

Why not turbo the KA? Heres a great example of what KA with a huge turbo can do.

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33297&highlight=

Its been done. Greaser from stfu-and-race did it. he has a thread on freshalloy.

Please show me 5 examples of de-stroked ka’s, and show me 5 examples of stroked ka’s. The results will suprise you.

Was it done on pump gas? :wink:

a DE-stroked KA-T will rev higher and smoother than a stroked KA boss man.

just put a sr in, leaeve it stock. you will have more then enough fun, but like any motor, or any gearhead/enthusiast after that first month of 7psi, your gunna want more…so skip the ka and sr…unless you wanna do something crazy like try throwin a rb25 under there…but have fun. rad relocation ftw!