NECC Race Car

Hey guys,

I wanted to gauge the interest of everyone here.

Dave and I had been talking about getting our hands on some sort of car to build an NECC race car with. Mostly for dirt tracking/rally/snowcross type stuff.

Well, now there is a Silvia with a blown engine in the classifieds that I’m sure most of you have seen. With some work and cash, I think we could get our hands on it and turn it into a track beast that everyone can enjoy for drifting/autocrossing/lapping and so on.

I need to know who would be willing to contribute some money to buy the car and get it running. This deal comes with a catch; I’m willing to contribute between 1500-2000 bucks to get the car as it sits right now, but for that investment I would need to drive the car on a daily basis once it is fixed, at least for the winter. After that, we can decide what’s to be done with it - or I can buy people out of their original investment and own the car itself.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not expecting peeps to be contributing thousands here - $500 bucks from a few would be enough, or smaller contributions would work too. Anyone that contributes something of consequence, be it parts, cash, or wrenching time (ie. more than a liter of oil or tank of gas. :D) would have the opportunity to drive it at any event that it could be brought to. Hell, we could even take it to an empty parking lot somewhere if that’s what folks want to do with it.

Just think of it - now you can have a share in a car that will be fast enough to be fun and not require you to beat up on your daily driver. If it gets pooched, everyone can still drive home while it’s getting repaired.

If you’re interested, let me know right away what you think of this. Whether or not this goes through, we’ll probably still get our hands on a cheap Nissan for snowcross/dirt autox/rally anyway - but it won’t be anything near as cool as a Silvia.

I may or may not have a VG30ET that I’d contribute to the cause. :stuck_out_tongue:

I will donate my old KA if needed

I also have lots of excess parts now

Make it a Z31 drifter. Bang for the buck!

Can’t really afford to up the cash, but I’m always down for helping with the work or supplying extra parts I have laying around.

Cool idea though…would be good advertising to have some lunatic driving a car with “NECC” in huge letters down the sides at the local events.

On a less serious note…here’s a plan…get at least 5 members to buy old 240s, 300s, 1rst gen maximas etc…paint them to NECC spec…quickly weld on some safety bars for the drivers…and then have a drift demolition :smiley: WikkiD!

It’s so original it’s bound to get attention!

Yeah, from the cops.

We should have a Sentra smashup challenge. Everyone go out and buy like, $300 Sentras, and have a race out in a field somewhere where contact is totally allowed - no hard hits though, we don’t want to injure anyone. :smiley:

You’re all going down!

Who would spend that much on a Sentra? Spending that much on a mexican family car is insane!

So, I guess the Silvia idea is pretty dead.

Shit - would have been nice to see the look on the face of all the young guys out there that drool over silvias while we beat the crap out of it on the track. Oh well. :smiley:

Yeah it sucks we cant get the money together. Looks like we are going to have to ghetto fab something.

Not long ago I saw an ad in the Bargain Finder for a 89 240 with no engine for $650 but I can’t find the issue anywhere, and it’s not on the site. :cry

Yeah that car was sold within hours of the bargain finder coming out. Other than myself I know two or three other people wanting to buy it.

Another important question is, does anyone weld or have access to a welder??

Well then, I needn’t worry. As for the welder, my mom is up for a job at a metal fabrication plant, so if she gets it, I have access to all kinds of welders. I’m going to build roll cages. :E

Side note: Hey Dave, can I meet you someplace on Thursday and pay you for the Dyno Day? I have your number allready.

So I informed Dave of this yesterday but…

I found a 90 240SX that RUNS, for $650. Its got rust, and was in a front end accident once (thats why the guy is getting rid of it). Its just missing the front rebar or something. The car is already FLAT BLACK!!! :smiley:

He was asking $850-1000, but I told him NECC could only spend around $650 lol, and he seemed enthusiastic about the cause.

I would be willing to donate and paint that bodykit I have for sale, which would cover the rust problem lol.

Opinions?

Jeff

Do all who donate get to participate in the driving of the car?

I can chip in $100 initially…don’t know how the Calgary/Edm thing is going to work though.

I am sure we will have the car down in Calgary, and you would be more than welcome to drive it up here, although it would probably be a step down from your current car.

Jeff, we’ll take the body bit for sure. Is it possible to sand down those lines on the sideskirts? Probably look a lot cleaner with those gone.

We are going to chalkboard paint the car.:lol:

I don’t think that we should just cover the rust problem. If anything at least cut the rust out, clean it and spray on some POR15 and rockergaurd, then stick the bodykit over top.

I’m getting better at bodywork and with like 6 people sanding we could have the car prepped and in chalkboard paint in a day.

Matt

P.S. I just got a bead blaster, so long as we have a compressor cleaning parts is going to be easy peasy. :E

I would help sanding and i can get basic parts for it for next to nothing.

Just let me know what is needed

Yeah we definately want to fix the rust properly. I’ll be looking at the potential car tonight!!