need a lap top .. help

I like my Dell laptops. I have 2 of them. My Dad, sister, and uncle all have them as well. My Dads has run flawlessly for the past 2 years. My sister had 1 problem that was taken care of in under 30 hours. (A/C adapter fried). My uncle hasn’t called me up about his yet so I am safe to say its working well. My oldest one (about 5 years old) works great to this day. The only problem is has ever had is with the battery. But no one should expect a heavily used battery to last 5 years. The prices are comparable to HP or other store boughts.

Even though someone mentioned Toshibas and praised other screen types - it is common knowledge Toshiba uses passive matrix screens in the lower models. Active matrix will give a much crisper screen with faster refresh - thus the higher quality most people are used to. I haven’t checked the specs on any current models though.

I love Sony Vaios too if you can spend the cash.

that’s the thing though… we don’t need to, as it as a medium is only adopted by the lesser of the OS’s!!!

again… not native, i can download a ton of plugins or write my own to do whatever i want… doesn’t mean one thing or another.

and i’m not hating on macs… i have friends that have them and i’ve been around them since day 1 (early 1990’s), i have a powerpc sitting next to me right now… but i’ve also had the opportunity to work with macs in corporate environments for such things that macs are sooooo much better at (corporate web development, multimedia development, picture editing, blah blah blah) and i can assure you that all of the above are done on mac workstations hosted on windows, unix or sun… nothing is even considered to run on osx servers because they are a joke… if apple didn’t give insane discounts (read: free computers) to schools, even education systems woudln’t adopt it. beyond that it seems that anything done on macs is for personal preference and can surely b e done on windows machines… so the argument is moot. it’s a joke when people can’t even connect to file shares to save files because afp isn’t integrated… at least with 2k3 windows put in native smb support, to give you guys a chance…