Need a timing chain replaced in my jetta! Anyone know someone who can do it?!

Basically the topic says it all. I own a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta VR6. I need the timing chain done on it too. I ordered all my parts through German Auto Parts, so I have everything to do the job. I even got a new clutch as well because the transmission has to be dropped to perform the job so I figured I mine as well replace it while i’m in there. A friend of mine and myself were going to do this job but we both have conflicting work schedules and it’s looking like we’re never going to be able to get to this job.

I’m wondering if there is anyone on here that knows someone who could do this job. I’ve called around to a couple of Volkswagen shops and they just want way too much money for this job. I know it’s an involved job and I just really don’t want to spend that kind of money if I don’t have to. Like I said, if anyone knows someone or knows someone that does stuff like this on the side PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I have cash on hand to pay someone to do this job.

Thanks in advanced!!!

pm 1stgen

wish i had the time to do it for you, and yes, timing chains on these cars are a pita. lots of stuff has to come off to get to the lower cover. how loud is yours? bet you the guide rail is probably snapped or something. thats pretty normal. my chains have been done already, so mine is damn quiet. my mother’s vr on the other hand is pretty loud, and the chains need to be done too. its at like 106k, but i’m going to do it eventually. i would gladly take you up on it, but i have such a shitty work schedule, a daughter, 2 of my own cars to work on, plus my buddy wants me to do a clutch, bushings, shocks & springs in his civic.

Sent you a PM

So this weekend with some help of a couple friends I decided to brave it and do the work myself. The job was going fairly smoothly considering how time consuming the job is until we got the transmission pulled. A short time after the transmission was sitting on my brother’s shop floor, I notice a pool of fluid collecting around it. I tip it up and a nickle size hole was punched through the case! :headbang :headbang :headbang

The car never leaked any fluid in my garage and always has shifted smooth. The hole got punched up high right near where my driver’s side axle bolts in. I blew an axle over the summer and my guess is that when I blew the axle to pieces, a piece of smashed through the case of my tranny. I had brought it to a shop to have the axle replaced and don’t ask me how, but they seemed to miss this hole that was right next to where you have to bolt the axle into.

So needless to say at this point i’m without a car, sucks big time! I called up my buddy at Govel’s Welding and i’m dropping the transmission off tomorrow to see if he can patch it. I’m keeping my finger’s crossed because i’m not looking forward to shell out more money on this car!

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/images/smilies/sorry.gif to hear it, that really sucks

yikes!!!

sorry to say jason, but i’m glad i didn’t take this job on only to find the hole, and have your car stranded in my yard! the chains are kind of a pita, only because all the shit in the way to get to them. once the covers and transmission is dropped, its quite easy from there.

depending on the size of the hole it should be able to be backfilled, tig welder is your friend here. if you have the piece that came from the hole, it would be even better, but i doubt you still have it.

so what shop didn’t notice the hole? is it possible that it was cracked, and the piece fell out afterwards?

let me know how you make out with the welding.

Govels are great guys, and are our sponsors.

The job itself wasn’t really too bad. The only real major pain in the dick was getting the transmission out, otherwise everything else came off and went back together relatively easy. The Govel’s are very good friends of mine so they were able to make the repair on the transmission pretty quick, I got it back that day.

As far as the shop, it’s a family friend who just works on cars on the side out of his own personal garage.

The car is back together now, only hold up is a dead starter which is on the way down tomorrow afternoon, otherwise the car should be rolling around tomorrow night and this week it’ll be hitting a dealership and i’m buying a new car!

There ya go, second VW owner to post today, that wants to get a new car :lol

This car really burned me to be honest. I’ve always owned Volkswagen’s and none of them really ever gave me much trouble except for this one. I haven’t really heard any good things about these MK 4 Volkswagen’s so I definitely think i’m going to steer away from them.

I’ll eventually buy another VW that I can mod. I’d like to get another Jetta Coupe, it’s just a matter of finding one in decent shape.

glad to hear you pretty much licked the job. good for you. yeah i hear ya on mk4’s. i don’t think i’d ever buy one. jetta coupe FTW… if you get one, that would be a great choice.