Need advice on ticket (got it in VA)

Ok before anyone starts I was speeding. I was visiting a friend and was driving on a toll road at 12 am, I didnt realize the toll plaza was ahead and failed to slow down soon enough. I got clocked by radar doing 69 in a 35. I got a summons to go to court and my charge is wreckless driving by speed. It is a misdemeanor (6 points). My question is has anyone been in a similar situation? What was your course of action (lawyer, no lawyer). What was the out come. Any advice is much appreciated. I don’t want to be like steelcitysix (walking around with a bus pass).

In VA? I don’t think that traffic violations there have any effect on your license here…so you’re license should be fine at least. As far as paying the fine, I don’t know.

My license is suspened in North Caroline, for example. I paid the fine so I wouldn’t have a warrant out for me, but my PA driver’s license is A-OK.

Well keep in mind he wasn’t cited for a “traffic violation.” For whatever reason (I assume because he was almost double the posted limit) his violation resulted in an actual court summons.

If you have an actual summons (that can’t be pled out by paying the fine) and you fail to appear, you will have a warrant issued for your arrest.

Getting suspended for points in another state is different from not answering a summons.

i’ld just go to the hearing, pleed guilty, and tell them the truth, u didnt realize how soon the plaza was coming up and if anything would they drop the speed down to a min. & lose the reckless driving…pay it and move on

your lucky you dont live in virginia or you would be receiving a four figure fine. Just go to the hearing and explain the situation and pay the fine. shouldnt need a lawyer…

better get a lawyer VA will throw you in jail for wreckless and speeding. better hope your record is clean also

they only throw you in jail if you are a virginia resident as stupid as that sounds

i know of a MD guy that did 20 days :dunno:

Thankfully I don’t have any first hand experience with VA traffic laws but from what i understand they are ridiculously harsh down here. I would suggest getting a lawyer because they don’t play here when it comes to traffic tickets.

yeah, i should have clarified, they can throw anyone in jail, but its mainly only virginians. Atleast thats what everyone down here is always complaining about.

True!
one of my girlfriend’s relatives got caught doing 90 something in a 55mph zone heading down to NC for family reunion and got like 14 days in jail

He has a clean record if that helps anyone as far a knowing his situation

What I take from this thread: Virgina sucks.

my dad was caught… similar situation. you have to be careful. as previously stated, it is a misdemeanor so its not like blowing off a regular speeding ticket in some other state.
he got a lawyer as was suggested to him and took some voluntary online course… similar to the written part of your drivers license test. then on his court date he presented that to the judge and was let off. i think this is pretty common in VA and if you contact a lawyer there it is pretty easily handled.
good luck.

They’re transforming moving violations into civil court penalties where they can crank up the fines and penalties and call them misdy’s and even felonious activity in some instances.

Anyone hear of the punishment fitting the crime? This is total BS!!!

Penalties for first-time speedersState Jail time Fines State Jail time Fines

Alabama

Up to 10 days

Up to $100

Montana

$10-$100

Alaska

Up to $300

Nebraska

$10-$200

Arizona

Up to $250

Nevada

Up to 6 mos.

Up to $1,000

Arkansas

Up to 10 days

Up to $100

New Hampshire

Up to $1,000

California

Up to $100

New Jersey

Up to 15 days

$50-$200

Colorado

$15-$100

New Mexico

Up to 90 days

Up to $300

Connecticut

Up to $50

New York

Up to 30 days

$30-$400

Delaware

$20

North Carolina

Up to 60 days

$100-$1,000

Washington, D.C.

$15-$100

North Dakota

$5->$99

Florida

$25-$250

Ohio

Up to $100

Georgia

Up to 12 mos.

Up to $1,000

Oklahoma

5 to 30 days

$10-$200

Hawaii

Up to $200

Oregon

$75-$600

Idaho

Up to $100

Pennsylvania

$35

Illinois

Up to $1,000

Rhode Island

$50

Indiana

Up to $500

South Carolina

Up to 30 days

$15-200

Iowa

Up to 30 days

$50-$100

South Dakota

Up to 30 days

Up to $200

Kansas

Up to $500

Tennessee

Up to 30 days

Up to $50

Kentucky

Up to $100

Texas

$1-$200

Louisiana

Up to 30 days

Up to $175

Utah

Up to 90 days

Up to $750

Maine

$25-$250

Vermont

Up to $175

Maryland

Up to $500

Virginia

Up to $200

Massachusetts

Not less than $50

Washington

Up to $250

Michigan

Up to $100

West Virginia

Up to $100

Minnesota

Up to $200

Wisconsin

$30-$300

Mississippi

Up to 10 days

Up to $100

Wyoming

Up to 30 days

Up to $200

Missouri

Up to 6 mos.

Up to $500

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/10StatesWithTheToughestTickets.aspx