NEED HELP TIMING ON 5.0

Alright guys if someone could come to my house and help me out I will even give you a few bucks. I can’t get this thing to start, ive put it to TDC pointed distributor to #1 balancer was on 0, removed valve cover to make sure it was at TDC by looking at the rockers, turn the ignition and it just keeps turning over and over.

I removed everything down to the lower intake to fix the oil leak on the lower intake in the back and forgot to mark the distributor.

HELP lol

moved to “oh crap i need help like now” forum

your most likely 180 deg off, pull the dist., turn the motor once and drop it back in, or the lazy way point the rotor 180 deg off exactly in opposite direction and get it running to throw a light on

the rockers should not move at all between compression and power stroke, if your setting it up when the exhaust valve closes and the intake starts to open you are 180 off

My Chevy 305 5.0L got out of time once. I removed a spark plug and did the pencil trick. The pencil trick if you don’t know is where you put a long pencil through the hole where the spark plug goes and turn the crank shaft manually. You can achieve this with a large ratchet and socket on the underdrive pully at the front of the engine bay. It is hard to move so just use all the anger you having been building while working on the car. Have a buddy up top keeping an eye on the pencil. The pencil will move up and down as you turn the underdrive pully. Once the pencil is at its higest point it will be at Top Dead Center. Hope that tricks helps you out.

yeah just be careful, notice he mentioned “long” pencil, as once a buddy of ours threw one in there that was slightly used and it fell all the way in…ooops lol. that shoould help you out to find out if your off 180deg. like was said above. GL and post an update

you can have #1 at top dead and still be 180degrees off

Yea I know that but he has a 50% chance then, so if this doesn’t work keep turning the crank till the piston reaches TDC again, and then try to start it.

or, use a breaker bar and save your swearing for when you really need it. :tup:

or one step further just crank the motor over w/the key

double check for spark and fuel psi

Roots have you had any sucess so far?