need help

alright posting this here since im gonna be in class for the next couple hours maybe some people on here can give me some shit to check for when i get back to my car.

driving to class my car was running fine, motor stalls out and wont kick back over. it cranks and cranks and cranks but doesn’t kick over. just had to walk the 15 minutes to get to my class on time. the only small sign of anything being wrong was once last week the car died for not even a second but even before i could react it was back. just a small buck and rpm drop but it went back to being fine.

alirght now i have to pay attention to class.

Do you hear the fuel pump turn on?

I was going to say fuel pump also

That still on a distributed or is that coil pack ?

does it have gas? lol

fuel pump - no clue
dist/coil pack - ignition coil? fuck (can u tell i cant think straight right now)
gas - yes thats the first thing i looked at cause i’m known to do that.

WTH happened to you? lol. This is Eliot right??

i think your car has a distributor, but i would look into the fuel pump, take a rubber mallet and hit the gas tank while you have someone else try to start it,

lol yes. between class and the car my brain can’t think straight right now. i’m surprised i didn’t somehow start talking about contracts in that reply, or torts.

trying searching on my hour break and miata forums are point towards it being timing belt if not fuel issues. which is easy to check but i wont have a car for tomorrow if it is timing belt…fuck.

did u have the car towed somewhere? i can give you a hand after work if you want

nope no time to, i was able to get to the shoulder before it stopped completely and i didn’t see anything that said it couldn’t be parked there so it is sitting on new scotland until i’m done with class for the day. if it doesn’t start i’ll call triple a and have them tow it to my house. it should be home between 5-6 depending how it gets home.

ok cool text me when ur home ill be here till 5-30 6

so i walked back to my car, and it started up like there is zero issue, drove all the way home like there is zero issue. i’m gonna change out the fuel filter, but anyone have any suggestions on what else to check? at least its not the timing belt, didn’t want to rip apart the car that extensively while class is in session (hoping to do it next summer when its due again at 180k)

maybe a cam sensor… but that should throw a check engine light… do you have any codes? but im still thinking its a fuel pump do you have a fuel gauge? hook the gauge up and drive the car around and if u loose fuel pressure then uve got a bad pump

It’s never the fuel filter. That’s a good maintenance item but wishful thinking for this type of issue. My bet is on an ignition component flaking out.

OBD1, maybe even OBD0 if he’s 90. He would have to check the ECU for blinking.

Is there a dizzy or no ? It sounds like a icm or dizzy getting hot and shutting down

Should be 2 sister - 2 spark coil packs.

Ok then possibly cps or cam . Don’t see 2 coil packs dying at the same time. Granted this is guessing as I can’t see it lol

When it dies u need to see if there is spark or no fuel or no fuel injector trigger . Or no injector trigger with no spark etc