Any Ideas?

Ok so today I picked my beater (90 Corolla) up from the shop after getting snow tires mounted and getting it inspected, it ran fine til I got home, which isn’t far maybe a 1-1/2 miles from the shop. That is when it started sputtering and then cut out, would not start back up, let it sit for a little and it started again, same problem though after it heated up it shuts off.

Now I noticed its much worse when in D (auto) then in P but in N it seems to be ok, now when I first start it it runs fine until it heats up again, the fan kicked on so I know thats working fine. But other then that I am really stumped here. I checked the wires to the tranny cooler and they are fine, is there a sensor I’m missing somewhere?

is it only doing it while in gear or park. and runs fine while in neutral. if so sounds like your trans is shot

its not as bad in neutral, still does it, just less sputtering…it goes in and out of P, R, D without any issues, it just acts up when its been running for a little while.

had a friend with a similar problem…i think his problem was his ignition coil…

with the way i’ve been going this week, take exactly what i say and do the opposite. :facepalm

face it… your beater is just afraid of being beat by my beater… lol. I would do what you can to check the fuel filter and pump. That has got to be it…

I understand the fuel pump theory, but what I dont understand is when its sputtering in drive and about to shut off I put it in neutral and step on the gas and its fine again. I mean I am still drawing fuel from the pump.

When in neutral there is no load on the engine, could be fuel delivery problem or ignition.

Plugs, cap, wires and rotor are new on the car, only thing left would be the coil pack or if its a fuel issue the pump, I am just confused why it runs perfectly fine for the first 5 min or so then starts acting up, then after letting it sit for 10 min it goes thru the same process again, fine for 5 min or so and starts acting up, thats why it has me confused why it would be the fuel pump.

Ohh maybe the coilpack is failing. Gets hot, runs like shit. Cools off, runs good…

thats what I was thinking, but before I just go out and buy a new coil pack, what is the best way to test that to be sure its the coil pack, I mean if its not that I suppose the fuel pump is failing, I just want to eliminate one of these two before spending $$$.

Hmm not sure how its connected on your car… You would have to check the resistance of the coil itself.

Like i said last night…Same thing happened to my friend. car would heat up and not run right or turn off. He’d wait ten minutes then be able to start it. sounds like coil to me :thumbup

I thought u said you replaced the coil… if not then I would start with the coil first. After sitting for god knows how many years, I am sure moisture got into the coil and corroded the shit out of it. Coils are only $20 on rockauto and a hell of a lot easier to do than the fuel pump.

Edit: or if you want it asap advance’s website says its in stock at Central Ave for $30. It also says the C.P. store has it in stock too.

Check to see if the coil is any good.

Primary coil test:
Isolate the coil from the rest of the system, and using an ohmmeter measure the resistance between the + and - terminal on the coil.

It should fall within .4-.5 ohms

then perform the seconday test:
Same as above except place the ohmmeter on the + terminal of the coil and the other lead into the coil tower.

That should fall within 10,200 - 13,800 ohms

if either fail then replace that turd.

Thanks for all the pointers…will be testing and checking everything on Sunday, will update you then!

survey says…water in the fuel line? I’m not 100% sure if that was it…but it runs fine now and I didn’t change ANYTHING.

First off, does the car have a MAF sensor in the intake tube? Did you check all the spark plug wires to make sure they are connected and not broken?

Could have been something moved during inspection. And you may have moved it back in place without knwen it. Such as a broken intake tube from the MAF to the intake.

Ok so fuel filter is replaced, wires to the new coolant temp sensor are good and yet after the engine starts to warm up there is a bad hesitation in the motor and occasionally shuts itself off, unless I am on the gas then the hesitation goes away. What am I overlooking? Could this be and air issue? It still seems to me that its fuel, I am ruling out electric considering it clears up and runs fine when I’m on the throttle.

psssssst… change the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor…