Need some advice, Schmitts vs. Northtown

Long story short. My new Golf R needs a new motor at 6,500 miles. It’s a bad batch of water pumps issue and VW Corporate is aware and replacing motors.

I obviously took my car to VW of OP because hands down they are my first choice. Because of underlying issues (basing this in my vast experience managing dealers) they refused my warranty job ($10,000+) and made me tow my car off their lot at my expense. This is a whole other story that I’m not getting into.

The car is in my possession and I’m going to have VW roadside tow it for a second time this week to another dealership. Either Schmitts or NT.

I’m leaning towards Northtown but I’d just like a second or twelfth opinion.

This situation has me lit up, and I’m not a happy camper.

Opinions and input? I’ve never had work done at either. I ordered a part from both places a couple weeks ago. Schmitts had it to me in a day. Northtown still hasn’t called me to tell me it’s in (I.E. they forgot, misplaced my order).

Thanks in advance.

I’m not a fan of north town, their parts/ service people are morons. Schmitts I’ve delt w the owner of the dealership and mainly the body shop (north town and. Schmitts are both customers of mine) the owner of Schmitts from what I delt w was a very upfront and good guy to deal with. I’d say go there. I do have more info on the two shops but nothing I can post publicly lol

Northtown F’d me (refused to do it) on my warranty when my 300 blew its engine with barely 35k on it. If that is of any help at all.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I assume you bought it there and they are refusing the work?

North town has a great parts guy!

Call Anthony. But not sure how that’ll help on the warranty

no exp with northtown. I have only delt with schmits parts guys and they have always been very helpful. Can you get into why they declined your warranty claim?

They didn’t decline the claim. It’s going to be covered. It’s an internal issue from what I can make of it. Basing it only on experience. No one there has informed me of anything. Just they “didn’t have time”. When I offered to wait a month or longer, they told me no.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

No. Bought it elsewhere.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

I’d still love to do business with OP but obviously that isn’t going to happen. Fortunately this won’t be an issue for me in 6 months. I don’t want this to come off as a bash on them. Their hands are most likely tied and there’s nothing they can do. I however, would’ve handled the situation a little differently.

My avant is from schmitts and I have nothing but good things to say about any service I have had with them. The sales dept there I have mixed reviews on… but thats another story.

Hmm, it must be nice to be soooo busy that they can refuse work. I wish that were the case where I am.

I’ve dealt with both companies on just the parts side of things, but I have to say, I’d rather see you go to Schmitt’s for what you need. I wouldn’t trust NT any further than I could throw them.

PM me the issue, I’ll talk to my service manager.

I was scrolling through the Golf R forum and I remember guys saying how their waterpumps were failing. One guy was on his 3rd water pump. Are they replacing your motor as the WP let go and destroyed the head and it’ll just be cheaper to throw in a whole new motor? Or are they doing this straight across the board? I remember the forum members saying that it seemed to be more prevelant in the 2/12 and 3/12 manufacture dates but there were cases of earlier and later random cars being affected too. They denied one guy as his car was flashed, and it was flashed at the dealership to add insult to injury :bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:. Personally, I’d take it to who ever can get it done sooner.

They’re all fucking morons! I called up to see if they had a flower for a Beetle I was selling, yes, you read that right, and they asked for my VIN. Are you fucking kidding me? I just want my pink flower for my yellow Beetle that some little girl is going to get moist in her AE undies over and buy. You don’t need the VIN to tell me if you have the flowers in stock.

Schmitts without a doubt

The guy who had his car flashed eventually got it fixed by running it up the chain of command.

So far there haven’t been any warranty claims denied in America, as his was in Canad-eh

For any particular reason?

I will expand upon why schmitts from my experience:

When I bought my avant I requested to inspect the cam follower before I bought the car, they looked confused but agreed and took the car apart so I could inspect the cam and follower. Then tossed a new one in (i paid for it though) while they had it apart :tup: They also mounted my snows for me free of charge at that time. I also had a rear coolant flange leak a few days out of the 90 day warranty in which they happily fixed for me free of charge and right away :tup: they could have denied this if they wanted to really. Overall the communication and service I have had from them has been great.

NT sucks not only in CS and Sales but parts dept. as well. I’ve ordered a part from there for my MK6 when I had it and they never called me to tell me it was in. I had to call multiple times to finally get some asshat on the phone to tell me it was in. Also, before I bought my car I went there, looked around the lot then proceeded to go into the main lobby. Coming from work, I was dressed presentable (not suit and tie) but still better than 80% of the idiots in there. I waited and paced in the lobby for 16 minutes 16!! without a single person asking me if I needed assistance. When I asked a sales guy where the person at the front desk was to inquire about possibly purchasing a vehicle he said she will be right there. Waited and waited and no one showed so I left. I will never do business with those idiots but then again I never want to purchase another VW in my life.

I have had a great experience with Schmitt’s. My fiancee’s 2.0T B7 A4 started to misfire like mad last fall, so I called to see if there were any campaigns for recalls or TSBs. There were a few, all covered under the recall. We scheduled an appointment, dropped off the car first thing in the morning, and had it back that afternoon. They replaced all 4 coil packs, the PCV (which was the problem), and some other small intake related part, all free of charge. We bought the car private party; also, the car had a test pipe, intake, and Forge DV spacer installed, and they didn’t even bat an eye. I would definitely return. Bastards even washed the car for us.

I have to say, NT really killed me when trying to order a new TRD rear sway bar. Put the order in, waited a few weeks, got no call…turns out it was NEVER ordered. Bought it online and it was here in like 3 days…so much for trying to support a local business.

Also, when I went in for an alignment after putting on the coilovers, they marked my car as a TRD corolla in the bill (which I’m pretty sure does not exists lol).

Ive had good and bad experiences with both… cool story I know.

But knowing some things that I now know about Northtowns ownership and how they operate, I dont think im going to give them another dime. Go Schmitts.

LOL. I wouldn’t help ya either! <3

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I’m now swayed towards Schmitts.

:tup: Awesome. This is what I’m looking for. Thanks.

I’m thinking I am.

It doesn’t. That’s kind of funny. It’s been 4 weeks since I ordered my R front plate bracket. Schmitt’s had it in a day. Northtown hasn’t called me.