Need some suggestions on the vette v. street legality

Gents,

at the end of last summer I canceled the insurance on the Vette, and I just went to look into getting it back up and running and I found in an old stack of mail a letter from PennDOT demanding I send in my tags… well needless to say I didn’t and the letter says the tags are suspended for 3 months.

Here come the questions:

What is the penalty for driving on suspended tags?

Would my 3 month suspension be extended because I still havent sent in the plates?

Does having suspended tags void any insurance?

Could I get around this by transferring the vehicle’s title to my company and then just get new tags?

should I just send them in and suffer not getting to drive all spring but then have them back in early June?

Is there any way around this?

Which is bigger, your fist or BLKP42E’s rectum?

Why does BLKP42E still insist he doesn’t like dick in his mouth?

have heard of sending tags in. but may just be better off getting a new plate then? not sure what the stipulations are. is the tag still valid? not expired?

way to go dumbass

The only way around is it to put the vehicle into someone elses name (the title). You can still insure the vehicle through your insurance even though it isn’t in your name. You suspension won’t begin until they receive the plate. Don’t get caught - your car will get towed!

I have no awnsers to this, jsut a little history.

I sold a truck, that the plate had expired on, but was still insured. Dropped the insurance a day after selling. About ten days later gotthe DOT letter in the mail and tossed it. About 30 days later got another, and tossed it. About 15 days after that, got a certified letter, stating I had 10 days to have the plate to them, or a warrant for arrest was going to be issued. WTF???

Needless to say, I had to go get the plate from the new owner, and send it to Penn DOT next day.

Getting Your Vehicle Registration Back

Reasons why your vehicle registration may be suspended and how to get your registration credentials back
Your vehicle record has an F stop, due to a lapse of insurance for more than 30 days.

You need to provide acceptable proof of insurance within 30 days of the cancellation date. If you had a lapse of insurance for 30 days or less and the vehicle was not driven during the 30 days or less lapse, you must also provide an MV-221“Statement of Non-operation of Vehicle”. If unable to provide the insurance and statement, you must return your registration plate, sticker and card to serve a 3-month suspension.
Your vehicle record has an I stop, due to a citation or accident.

You need to obtain a letter from your insurance company’s home office and have it signed by an underwriting manager/supervisor. The letter must indicate the name of insurer, policy number, vehicle identification number, the effective and expiration dates of your policy, along with a statement that your insurance was in effect at the time of the accident or violation. If unable to provide this letter, you must return your registration plate, sticker and card to serve a 3-month suspension.
Your vehicle registration is suspended, due to not having insurance.

You would need to provide acceptable proof of insurance within 30 days of the cancellation date, if you had a lapse of 30 days or less and the vehicle was not driven during the 30 days or less lapse, you must also provide an MV-221 “Statement of Non-operation of Vehicle”. If you are unable to provide the proof of insurance and statement, you must return your registration plate, sticker and card to serve a 3-month suspension. OR If due to an accident or citation:
You need to obtain a letter from your insurance company’s home office and have it signed by an underwriting manager/supervisor. The letter must indicate the vehicle identification number, the effective and expiration dates of your policy, along with a statement that your insurance was in effect at the time of the accident or violation. If unable to provide this letter, you must return your registration plate, sticker and card to serve a 3-month suspension.
Your vehicle registration is suspended, due to lapse in insurance and you want to restore it.

You need to provide acceptable proof of insurance. Proof of insurance can be provided within that last 30 days of being eligible. Additionally, a $50 restoration fee is required in order for your registration to be restored.
You received a letter regarding insurance on a vehicle you no longer own or have traded in.

You need to provide a copy of the MV-1 or MV-4ST or bill of sale identifying the vehicle and the new owner.
You received a letter regarding insurance on a vehicle that has been junked.

You need to provide a copy of the salvage certificate or letter of salvage from the insurance company indicating the new owner.
You received a letter regarding insurance on a vehicle that has been repossessed.

You need to provide a copy of your letter of repossession from the dealership or financial institution.

Word of the day YOU Dumbass

buy me beer

Vettes are faster than crown vics

I had two expired registration experiences… the first I was pulled over with an expired and suspended license (go figure it expired during suspension) and was driving on expired tags. The cop striaght out told me that he didn’t have the energy at the end of his shift to deal with me and wait for a city impound wrecker. Instead followed me (with licensed friend driving) to a friends house, park in the back lot and took my license plate with him. He didn’t bother turning it in and I had to have a new plate issued almost four months later (I borrowed a good plate off of a friend in order to drive until it came back, and was more careful about being pulled over)

The second time was similar to what you’re going through. Although I was able to send in a notarized letter stating it had not been driven during the suspension period and was allowed to regsiter it with insurance.

but dunno after reading Shaggy’s post. Now I put the cars on “garage” insurance over the winter to avoid these headaches. Basically just insures you against someone stealing the car or a tree falling through the garage roof and cost me on average $10/mo. (have done it on a few different cars now)

I used to do this also, but the state always required me to send the plate in during the “garaged” period.

I never had to turn tags in when garaging my car, but I did have to tell the insurance company the current mileage when garaged.

Did the insurance company ask for the mileage? Maybe you could prove that it was never driven like previously mentioned.

Did you have insurance to begin with ?

I’ve got a car on garage insurance now, and haven’t had to mail the plates in. I actually just sent in a form to keep it off regular insurance until further notice. It otherwise reinstates itself April 1st. And my insurance company has never asked mileage (State Farm)

It’s the insurance company that notified the state that insurance lapsed, which trigered the suspension…

Canceling your insurance and withdrawing your car from use are completely different things. I am surprised they don’t ask mileage, I am with State Farm and they ask when I take it off and on.

“Withdrawn from use” is the exact phrase on the form. I typically call and tell them I need the “garage” insurance for one of the cars, tell them which one… they mail a form, I sign and return. But have never provided mileage, going back almost 6 winters (with one winter 1/2 way with no car sitting for a winter) Maybe it’s the agent I work with? Wife first signed up with him back in '95… he’s always been pretty easy going.

Same thing happened to a buddy of mine. He transfered the car into his dads name and they re-registered it. All his dad had to do is list him as the primary driver on the car on his insurance and it was all good. He sent his plate in just to keep the state happy, a few months later they put the car back in his name and everything was put back as it should be. Both times they transfered the car they wrote it up as a gift too, which made it tax free. Kind of a pain in the ass, but to get the Vette on the road it might be worth the hassle.

I want a tax free vette

move to florida and never have to deal with “garaging” your car