NY DMV Form MV-78B

Anyone ever use one of these? I can not find any information online about it.

I surrendered an old car to the city and have been trying for a year to get it off my insurance. NY State says they need a MV78B saying the plates were destroyed. The form I got from the impound is a city of buffalo letter head where they wrote in my VIN and that it was destroyed but going to the DMV they said that this form is useless.

Figured someone on here has used this form and can shed some light as to what it looks like and where they got it from.

You left the plates on the car???

lol srsly^

It was towed for being on the street for a week. The car was worth maybe $200 and the city wanted $500 to get it out so I could surrender it and not have to pay anything.

I think they have to allow you access to the car to remove personal good…aka the plates lol.

Just stop paying insurance on it. :stuck_out_tongue:

No you can not have access to the car if you do not pay the fees unless you have a medical reason to get medicine out there. Luckly I moved everything to my new car so there was nothing left in this car so I told them to keep it. GIECO wont let me remove it from my policy without a form from the DMV and its like pulling teeth with the city and DMV trying to get the right form.

Someone on here had to be in this situation before. Lol.

You’ve been paying insurance on a car that you don’t own for a year?

Lol ya. Didn’t realize it until I went to change my address on my policy and saw my old car was still on there. Luckly my insurance on two cars with full coverage is only $60 a month.

L

O

L

yea when u turn ur plates into the DMV they give u this lilttle slip…then u can cancel ur insurance…

MV-788 is incase u lost ur plates

It doesn’t really seem that complicated.

If your vehicle plates are lost or stolen:

If your vehicle plates are lost or stolen, ask a police agency in NYS to complete form MV-78B for you. Or, get a report printed on the letterhead of a police agency in the state where the vehicle plates were lost or stolen. Bring form MV-78B or the police report to the DMV office instead of the vehicle plates.

If you cannot get a police report, write a statement that includes your plate number and explains why you cannot surrender your NYS plates. Your statement must be notarized. Bring or send the notarized statement to the DMV office instead of the vehicle plates.

If only one of your two vehicle plates is lost or stolen, surrender the plate that you have. If you surrender by mail, include a note with the vehicle plate that explains that the other plate is lost or stolen. The DMV will process your transaction and note on the registration record that one plate is lost or stolen.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/regtransfer.htm

I hate you all…

Fry, it looks simple but getting an answer from someone at the DMV or City is crazy. I went to the impound and got a form from the City of Buffalo Parking Enforcement that says the City impounded my car with the VIN and Plate and that it was acutioned on 3/6/09 and the plates were removed and destoryed. when I brought this to the DMV, they said that this is not the MV78B that I need which aparently no one can tell me what it looks like as in if its a official form from the state they need to fill out or what. When I called the city and asked them what else I needed, they said I have the MV78B from already and that is what need but the DMV begs to differ.

Fuck MV78B.

Write up a little thing saying your car was scrapped with the plates still on it. Oops my bad. Then sign it in front of a Notary and have it notarized. Take it to the DMV, get your receipt from the DMV, take/send receipt to Geico, cancel your insurance.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

I’d also print out the DMV page that says that that’s all you need to do because DMV workers tend to be arrogant and stupid.[COLOR=“Silver”]

the form is only available form the Police they should have them

Standard series plates or registration documents lost in a crime – Go to a police station and have the police complete form MV-78B (Report of Lost or Stolen Motor Vehicle Items). This form is available only from the police, not from the DMV. If the police report indicates that the items were lost in a crime, there is no fee to replace the items. Bring form MV-78B to a DMV office and follow the instruction below. You cannot use form MV-78B to apply on-line, by phone or by mail. If you apply on-line or by mail to replace registration documents, you must pay a fee of $3.

I appriciate everyones contributions with their copy and paste skills of the DMV website but I have read that a few times and also called them. The original question is asking what the hell this form looks like becuase my frustration is that the City said that the form I have is the 78B but the DMV says its not and that I need to go back to the police station and get one. I just want to see if someone has seen one before and can let me know if the DMV is a dumbass and this “letter” is actually the 78B or if there is some official NY form that they need to give me and are just retarded.

maybe you should goto another police station as ask if they have such a form and if u could have a copy

:picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard:

Tried but they said that since the Parking division downtown was the one who was responsible for it, I need to go there for the form which no one seems to know what it is and keeps saying that I have but the DMV begs to differ. I think I should record any contact I have with the City and the DMV becuase this is ridiculous and I am amazed in 2010, I still need to go back and forth between the DMV office, City Parking Bureau, and the actual impound.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/179/d/4/argument_invalid_by_Aoixin.jpg

Is there a reason why you aren’t going to write a sentence on a piece of paper saying you scrapped your car with the plates still on it, have the piece of paper notarized, bring the piece of paper to the DMV and be done with it?

That sounds like a less official version of what i have. The letter I have now is from the city and is pretty much a typed notarized letter that is signed by the city with my plate, name, and VIN number saying that its been destroyed but I am getting no where with the DMV and they keep mentioning this god damn MV-78B form so thats why I am leading to believe its a actual NY State form that needs to be filled out and not just a notarized letter…