Need talon tuning help

i cant get my talon running right i need some help. I have dsmlink. pm me or get at my AIM : portnpolished87

:squint: i hate my car.

what do you need help with? I have some old maps on my computer from my 1g

Whats wrong? Describe.

Well ill post a post i made on the dsmlink forums and we’ll go from there. NO real help on dsmlink forums so im getting discouraged

"Some may have seen a post or two from me on the board about my knock problem. Im currently at a college night class so I cannot post some logs up at this time but I will within the next day. I need someone to collaborate with locally or even someone not local by email or even phone. It has been months plagued with knock problems and various other things. Im getting fed up with the whole car and im so close to quitting despite all my time and effort. Some board members have been very helpful so far, however despite their efforts, not much progress has been made. I already had two local dsmlink guys look at the car and the tune and find no explanation for the problem.

I’ll recap the problem and say what has been done so far since we don’t need to go in circles.:

On idle the car misses bad.

I cannot stop my cars knock at any boost level and timing combo.
-Boost leaks are very minimal. For example my bov leaks slighty after 20 psi and the MBC bleeder hole.
-Base timing has been checked and rechecked numerous times.
-15 psi is the lowest boost I can run given my tial wastegate.
-Knock sensor has been swapped for a known working one.
-new NGK spark plugs with proper gap.

MAIN thing I have found:
I swapped my FIC 1000’s for RC550s, the knock problem is completely gone as well as the miss. So hey maybe its the injectors. I called up Jens at FIC and he graciously offers for me to send him the injectors and test them. Well fast forward a trip the post office and some days and he informs me the injectors tested out perfect and he shipped them back out the same day. So thats where Im at now. Fic showed me great customer service and even though Im having problems I’d like to go ahead and do my duty by throwing that out there. So now im waiting for the injectors to come back to me. I have taken some logs on the 550s for comparison. However, they are running out of injector duty very fast. Knock is controllable with minimal timing changes. Very close to a stock map.

So for now im just bringing some of you into my problem
Logs will be posted either later tonight or tomorrow.
Also looking for either someone to let me borrow a wideband to log or use while they are with me for a day just to see what the car is really doing.

thanks for the help.
Steve."

and heres my mod list in general “93 tsi. PTE SCM-4431E. Buschur FMIC. 2g mas. O2 mounted Tial. Buschur 3’ exhaust. SX regulator. Supra fuelpump. ACT2600. FIC 1000cc injectors. and of course DSMLink.”

Pgt Tuning is the way to go for dsm’s… Owner/Tuner=Nathan Silveri
I also have dsmlink, I had my car tuned by him and it runs great. If you want his cell number or want to setup a day to get on the dyno let me know. PM me for more info.

Nate can definitly help you out!!! And that would be TPG tuning!!

You mention the fact that you are looking for somebody with a wideband to see what the car is actually doing! How have youu been attempting to correct the problem when you dont know what your A/F’s are?

Steve,

call me tomorrow. I have a few new ideas. We’ll get it taken care of.

Jesse

dsmlink gives a good af readout usually but reguardless of not having a a/f guage you can make the car to stop detonating, even if your not making the most possible power. dsmlink gives you the power to change all your fuel and timing characteristics. my car wont even stop detonating on 15 psi and having teh timing close to 0 degress btdc. im sorta stuck in a rut.

and gt30 i pmed you about tpg

thanks guys

By the way, don’t pull that much timing on a stock bottom end.

I think you are underfueled personally. that supra pump isnt that great. get a walbro 255lph hp pump and see what happens they are like a 100 bucks and put the 1000cc injectors in cause 550’s will be rough too

i think you mean TPG Tuning :bigthumb:

thanks for the correction buddy…:bigthumb:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/fuelpumpflowrates.htm

Probably not I know if you re amp the 255 it will potentially flow more but with 12.5-14 volts it shouldn’t have any trouble.
Many DSM’s are plauged with “Phantom Knock” you may potentially be a bit too rich with the 1000cc injectors, which will cause a very hard to discover knock, get a wideband on it and lean it out untill it starts to disappear. Trust me your not the only one fighting your car tooth and nail.

Jesse mentioned the pump before as well.

I have this baller in cabin electric fuel pressure guage from autometer and my guage doesnt loose any pressure. maybe i should do the dsm pump rewire however get some more volume in there.

im so torn. good throwing these ideas around. Im going to check it out. I need all the help i can get.

I run the fic 1000’s and they are fine. Sounds like you have a serious tuning issue. I don’t know how you can even fathom “tuning” 1000’s without a wideband. You are probably so far off its not even funny. LC1’s are 200 bucks. Or you can just visit nate on the dyno and use that wide band and get tuned at the same time. Either way if you adjust your deadtime and scale the injectors correctly it should run better than stock.

I ran RC1000’s with no wideband, and my car ran great. I don’t think a wideband is fully necessary for tuning.

yeah. i should have mentioned im not trying to break the hp record. just looking for now to get close to my desired (or any boost leve) without my motor knocking during a good 3rd gear pull.

Shoot me an email and I can help you out, nate@tpgtuning.com.

Nate
TPG

i got dsmlink and an innovative wideband and ive been trying to get my car tuned since july. ive called nate numerous times and have given up so ill either blow it up or go fast. guess thats how its learned