need vw vag scanner

does anyone have a vag 1551 scanner for the vw? my brother just bought a 1999 vw passat 1.8 and the battery was dead. from everything im reading i need a vag scanner to re-adjust the throttle body settings, i have acess to a mac mentor odb scanner and even that is telling me to use the vag.

the car will start everytime but only idles at 480 rpm and when steady throttle is held the rpms jump up and down. i was thinking tps or fuel press reg. but like i said im reading the dead battery is the cause

is there anyone willing to lend me a scanner and a hand in resetting this or telll me another way of doing this without the scanner, the car is in alden and i really dont feel like towing it out 2 the dealer if a quick reset would solve my prob

thanks adam

pm me if you would be willing to help (ive never used the vag scanner) or reply with other options

im towing the car into west seneca 2nite itll b at west seneca auto and glass on clinton right near harlem if that makes it easier on anyone

Seriously, tell your brother to pick one up off ebay. They are cheap, and the software is free.

This won’t be the only time he needs it.

+1

I don’t think adjusting the idle speed will solve the problem, it will only cover up whatelse is wrong. If you are looking for a quick fix, go for it, but more than likely it will cause issues down the road.

x…

yea he def should buy one and he prolly will, i just want 2 get the car running, its not even on the road yet ha

and ive jumped on some vw forums and they r saying when the battery goes dead the throttle body needs to be readjusted and it can only b done with this scanner … im takin it to athol motors in so.blo we tow for them all the time so hopefullly they’ll b able 2 help me out with that and let me know what else needs to b done b4 its road worthy

yeah, you need to recalibrate the idle control/throttle johnson. it only takes a min.

it needs a “throttle body adaptation”, it isnt part of the free version of vag com

same thing happened to me, i just kept driving it and it has fixed itself to 100% now

Are you sure? I had to do this on my passat and never paid for anything but the cable.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/

I think I was using 311 back then

www.blackforestmotorsport.com

give us a ring if you can’t get it sorted out.
-Zac

pm me if you still need Vagcom.

nope im good thanks tho it needed a throttle body his was dead apparently

hhhmmm you try taking the terminals off and touching them together for a few seconds and then reinstalling them?

Hm. Surprising. I’ve replaced zero throttle bodies in the past 3 years, and we do a lot of VW/Audi work. However, glad to hear it worked out.