Nepal...

You guys following this?

the deathcount jumps by 500 every day… some of the footage from the Everest Basecamp is NUTS:

Yeah it’s incredible. Those guys at base camp are going to be OK, camps 3 & 4 are definitely fucked.

For the rest of the country, team America is on the way + $10 million in tax payer aid.

I was looking through some CCTV footage on youtube this morning. The pool at 1:18 in this one gives you a good idea how much it was rocking. I’m surprised we haven’t seen more video of buildings actually collapsing though. Remember all the crazy videos that came out immediately after the tsunami in Japan? I’m sure some of that has to do with the technological differences between Japan and India, and some to do with how fast the earthquake was over compared to the tsunami though.

It’s interesting that the scientific community was just there days before this happened discussing how a big one was going to happen but they couldn’t say when, and how bad it was going to be with the almost total lack of building codes, shoddy construction and densely packed population.

EDIT:
Am I the only one who feels a little weird about how much coverage a handful of extreme climbers who died on Everest are getting compared to the thousands and thousands who died just going about their daily lives?

easier for the west to identify with westerners… plus some of the more extreme footage is from up there. I think there is also the added isolation of being on Everest that sensationalizes the whole thing even more.