networking question... 360 related

plugging in a switch is easier IMO than trying to run/hide a cable all over the house. plus, long run cables like that are a tad expensive.

This is what I had to do to get my second linksys working…

If you can’t get it to work, yes, go get a switch at this point…plug and play…

a router has a built in switch. just turn off the dhcp and change the ip to something not on your network and you are good to go. its not that hard and i dont know why people keep saying “Just buy a switch”.

i set this up at my house and just added a 4th router (yes with a built in 8 port switch) and it works fine. omg and guess what!? its just as fast as running a pure switch!

Errr… you have to run the cables anyway to do that. :loopie:

ok, here is the deal… just tried it again.

I didn’t change anything on the main router/modem… just left it as is.

I plugged the second router (zonet ZSR0104cP Broadband Switch Router) into the main line, then split that line into the 360 and my computer. I didn’t get any connectivity on my computer, but I was able to connect to the switch (192.168.1.1) which is normally reserved for the main router.

DHCP is disabled on it and for LAN settings, it was asking for an IP… I assume for the switch, so I gave it 192.168.1.16… which in turn wouldn’t even let me connect to the switch, so I must of changed the wrong thing.

I had to unplug the main line and connect it back to the computer to post this. Any ideas on what I need to set? Once I hook up the 2nd router, I don’t have another machine to connect directly to the main modem/router

connect the line from your router to port 1 on the second router.

if you want i have a ton of cat5e cable, some rj45 connectors and a crimper. could just make a cable for you how ever long you need it for nothing. i bought 500ft off ebay for 30 bucks.

thanks for the offer man… boxxa is trying to help me out via AIM and still having problems. I think I’m just going to bite the bullet and get the wireless kit. I hate networking lol I feel like such a dummy

the answer is that daisy chaining NAT routers is a shitty idea. You are not plugging any switch in anywhere. Just because you disabled DHCP on a NAT Router, does NOT mean that your router is now a switch.

you need a fucking switch which will surely be cheaper than the wireless adapter. God fucking damnit you are thick skulled.

Geeeez the hostility…on the internet, over someone else networking. The best/cheapest way(s) to go would be to make another cable run or let someone configure it for him to save himself the 80 or 90 dollars the wireless will cost.

A 100 ft cable can be had for little to nothing these days. Just return the 2nd router if you bought it, take the free cable from greenbull. Call it a day.

so you are saying that when your switch ports on your router at home recieve a packet destined for another computer, it goes right to layer three and sends it to the routing interface and completly ignroes the layer two address? wow those are some beefy home routers you are speaking of since all traffic is processed.

im sorry my friend but you are wrong. when your switch ports on any home router w/ built in switch recieve a packet, it looks at the mac, if its something in its table, it forwards it on a SWITCHING level. If its destined for the outside world, it goes to the packet forwarding ROUTING level. disabling the DHCP server just prevents it from answering DHCP Request packets. You are keeping all your data on pure layer 2 thus making it into a switch.

wireless adapter= $100 > 100 ft cable running through your house and the headache of trying to wire it.

the wireless adapter will let you play anywhere if you decide to move your console, its honestly the best way to go. if you ever move out or take your 360 somewhere, you wont need to deal with wires, that is if your using a router with wireless capabilities.

how is all the data stuck on layer 2. He is sending data to the outside world, which means that it is going to try to hit the routing table. Bryan, I know that you know your shit, and I have made this situation work once to get a better wireless signal with a router I had laying around, but it takes a lot of configuration, and in the end, it never stays fully working for long.

In concept, it should work just fine, but linksys products are far from spectacular. A plain old switch would be MUCH easier than co-ersing a shitty router into ignoring all routing requests.

I have this running in my apartment with the SAME SETUP. Our cable modem has a built in router/switch. We have a netgear acting as a switch hooked up to that in my roommates room powering his servers, laptop and desktop. Off of that is a cable going to my room where i have a netgear router acting as a switch to get my xbox and pc.

You are SWITCHING the packet. My xbox wants to get out to the internet. My xbox looks at the packet and forwards it based on its MAC table, not its IP table. The only routing is done by the main cable router which NATs my Xbox to the public

Trust me. I set this up profesionaly. Its layer two ie. switching.