New Cadillac Engine: Twin Turbo V6

Currently announced for the 2014 CTS; a twin-turbocharged V6 producing a 420 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque. This LF3 engine will be paired to a new eight-speed automatic transmission, which will help balance performance and fuel economy. We still don’t know how much the 2014 CTS has grown in terms of size and weight, but GM says that new sedan will return 17 miles per gallon in the city and 25 mpg highway with the new engine to go with a 0-60 mile per hour time of 4.6 seconds.

I am awaiting an announcement for putting this in something a whole lot lighter. The 2014 CTS will be more 5 series sized.

Also waiting for the first; but it is not a manual complaint.

This LF3 engine will be paired to a new eight-speed automatic transmission

god dammit.

and coming soon to a buick near you and you can bet it will be black!!!

I guess I am not the only one that prefers 4 speeds… especially in a turbo car.

I should have clarified that I meant that as a jab that there are less and less performance oriented engines paired with MANUAL transmissions these days.

The true manual trans (with a clutch pedal) is on life support and hospice has been called in.

after I posted that it clicked and I knew what you meant. I still stand by my statement but also that I do love manual transmissions.

Yes!

C.A.F.E

You are not. I have a 6 speed automatic in my current GM car and it sucks, both for driving and gas mileage.

And I would have preferred to see this motor mated to a manual. Could be the next Buick GN/GNX motor if they ever brought it back.

How does a 6spd auto suck for gas mileage compared to a 4?

constant shifting is really annoying to some people. My a8 even with all the power it has still bothers me with it shifting all the time. It is a 6 speed. My touareg too. It has a mountain of torque once the turbo winds up but since it cuts power ever 3 seconds to shift it never gets to spool if you are driving gingerly. I really don’t need a first gear that is so short it shifts into second after moving 15 feet.

I didn’t ask about drive ability.

I asked him to explain the logic behind a 6 or 8 speed transmission getting worse mileage then a 4 spd.

My 8 spd 328i was awesome this whole past week… 38.3 mpg from my house to tampa and back.

517 miles on the tank with multiple races on it . (beat up a 350z from a 20 roll, and an older mustang gt)

Twin turbo v-6’s are the only way to make power. Lets see ya beat up on a 300. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure why you’d like me to explain that, when I was just stating that I preferred 4 speeds, and that my experience with my current car with the 6 speed automatic sucks for both Drive-ability and gas mileage?

Somedude is Spot on as to why I dislike the drive ability in mine though.

My point was if you compare identical model cars where they switched from 4spd -> 6spd they should get BETTER gas mileage they usually have multiple over drives and can be more aggressive on lower gears.

I wasn’t arguing the drive ability point

I like the tilt stand video.

Because some owners are expected to take their cars to track days, the lubrications system has been tested developed to keep the oil pickup tube submerged even under extreme g-loading conditions, as simulated by a test rig that can quickly rotate a running engine sideways or fore/aft to simulate 1g cornering or braking.

http://wot.motortrend.com/cadillacs-new-twin-turbo-v-6-in-depth-343443.html#axzz2O0hkt400

Interesting bit at the end of that article about a possible Corvette usage considering they announced an additional model sub $50k below the Stingray. I highly doubt a V6 in a Vette but you never know.

So this is like the motor that comes in a 335i except its reliable…

WTF GM :lol:

LZ, i agree with you that all things equal aside from the transmission, the one with the greater number of gears should get better gas mileage overall.

But I also think that there are situations where this can also lead to poorer gas mileage than a transmission with fewer gears. For example, in my situation, I drive 2.5 miles to work and back each way, and hit a red light, or turn every .4 miles roughly. Because of this, my car only uses the lower gears, which are geared more aggressively, than say a comparable 4 speed. I rarely ever get up into the two overdrive gears during my commute. And even when running errands, I do mostly City driving under 40 mph. I suspect it is for this reason that my average MPG with 90% around town driving averages 16-18mpg, while i’ve been able to achieve 20-22 mpg in the same situation in a similar car with a 4 speed (the G6 mentioned above.)

And hopefully the new engine and transmission do not suffer from the same issues that cause a lot of the current 3.6L NA motor and 6 speed transmission to need a rebuild/replacement before they hit the 100k mark.