New car purchase time.

My time in the 4 cylinder world is soon coming to an end. While the Tiburon and Hyundai’s in general for me have been extremely good, I want to grow up to something I can have more fun with.

I’ve been eying up used Pontiac GTO’s and Chevrolet C5 Corvette’s. Both are based on the same engine platform, can be has for 12-15k if you keep an eye out for them as well.

I have several friends that have Corvette’s and LS based cars, and they seem to be very capable. The GTO would be more practical and I could see myself using it as a daily driver, but the Corvette would be more for the weekend, cruising around.

I’m torn between the two. I’m not a fan of the way the GTO looks, but love the hardtop C5’s. Dollar for dollar you can see more power for your dollar, and the biggest thing is rear wheel drive for me. With some simple bolt on’s you can be deep into the 11 second bracket, and still have a reliable daily driver.

Thoughts?

my thought is you will never get either :booty:

for the same amount of money, vette. no question. gto’s are garbage.

What makes you think the gto is more practical? subtle/boring looks? little more trunk space? They’re both rwd w same power.

I hear GM is cuttin great deals lately

You know my opinion on the c5.
11.750 @ 119
32.0 mpg hwy

vette, definitly.

buy a Caddy. :smiley:

CTS-v FTW. You can find one for 15-18 easy if you look.

I’ve heard GTOs are crap too… I think Tod can probably pitch in on this?

I won’t touch a Caddy. I’ve seen the expense and horrible repairs on them. I’m going to be focusing on a C5 in the near future.

C5 ftw!

LSX powered vehicle FTW

LOL at the people saying GTO’s are garbage when they have no experience with the car or never driven one… or people that have “Heard”

Todd had some issues with his, but I have never heard him say they are “crap”, Ask him yourself.

I was torn between a goat or a C5… I went with the goat due to practicality and comfort, Its nice having an 11 second RWD daily driver after a few mods :smiley:

i agree with the first part. but i dont get the more practical goat then a C5 not really haullin more then one person around on a daily basis are you? id love to have a 2 seater and no longer have to worry about haulin 3-4 pepes around. Vette it is mister.

This won’t be a daily driver, just a toy.

Ha… Well it is nice to fit 3 or 4 people in if I need to, the interior & comfort is light years ahead of the corvettes, only rivaled by the newer 3LT package, and seemed a bit better suited for year round daily driving…

If all i wanted was a weekend toy, the vette would have been it.

My thoughts? Copy off of someone else, homofagqueer.

auto vette r :cool:

what’s that drive by wire tb like on the GTO? is there any lag or anything like all the ****ing fords i know of?

FWIW C5s are drive-by-wire too. But there’s ZERO lag. When ppl drive my Z they often comment on how good the throttle response is. It’s also easier for tuners to deal with big cams since they can control the closing rate of the throttle body.

To the OP, if the car is just going to be a “toy” not a DD there is absolutely NO question: C5. Get a FRC if you can find one in your price range, I just like the FRC/Z06 roof-line a lot better. For the same HP a C5 is always going to be faster than a GTO being 600-800lbs ligther. They handle a ton better. They fit way more tire. AutoX or Road Course worthy in nearly stock form (just good brake pads and fluid, if you go to R-compound tires toss in some ducts). Overall a used C5 is simply the best deal going in used sports cars these days. If you want to AutoX competitively spring for a Z06. With a C5Z and a few relatively cheap mods (front sway bar, shocks, tires) you have “the car” for SS that would be nationally competitive if you’re up to it.

-TJ

Throttle response is great, def no lag you can notice.