New life to old rims

oh no…

stock def. much better, dude…

Ugh… stock > that

Lots > that

Sorry…

im sure there are, but that wheel looks like hell. maybe you guys should have spent some more time taping them off. the over spray looks like shit.

true

I’m going to assume this is the look you were trying to get, with the “background” painted black so only the spokes show.

But your style rims can not pull it off. Especially since you didnt leave the lip silver.

You posted, you wanted opinions, and I gave mine.

If you’re so sensitive that you can’t handle criticism when you asked for it you need to leave the internet now. :gtfo:

If this statement were true;

You would have never started this thread to begin with.

I can see what you mean about the spinners… but I think perhaps the picture doesn’t do the rims justice, I think they look more like rims, and not hubs in person.

And about posting on her name, sorry, I didn’t think it’d be a big deal, sorry Howie.

I’ll assume your lack of tact is due to you simply giving your opinion.
I’m not a painting pro, I have seriously close to ZERO experience, I merely wanted to see how they’d look. I plan on powdercoating them, for cleaner lines later on.

I toyed with that idea for a while, and this idea popped up…

And when comparing the two, taping the rims off without doing the lip was much easier, and I personally liked it more. One big reason, is because polished lips are very popular, and I admit to liking a polished lip, but I wanted to try something a little different.

Joel the origianl was all silver, and with limited funds, I couldn’t buy a new set of aftermarket rims, and wheelsthat fit my bolt pattern are well… limited in supply, and also look very very stock. This is what Nichole and I thought would make the same rim, look the most different.

Thanks, but I seriously suck at painting, this paint job is me putting about 98% into it. I’m seriously terrible at painting, and will never claim to be good. I just wanted a cheap and easy way to see how it would look before sponding the cash for a more permanent powdercoating.

Wouldn’t look bad either, but I’m trying to stick to a simple black and blue color scheme, and introducing another color would screw me up. I suck at coordinating colors.

No offense taken. Thanks for your input.

I think they look good in pictures, but then again, I personally think after seeing them in person, they look much better.

If you ever get the chance to see them in person, perhaps your opinion will change.

See, if the 5 stars had a little taper on the end, I could work that out with the polished lip. I like those porshe wheels, but I’m trying to make the best of what I have to work with.

Nope, it’s the paint… I suck at it :slight_smile:

Yea, I figured if fans keep you cool in the summer, a ceiling fan bolted to my rotors would keep ME cool y0.

Actually,that’s not quite the look I was going for, but interesting interpretation.

See, I was getting really tired of the stock appearance. I seem to be seeing more and more Cavaliers with the stock rims, and wanted to set myself apart.

Actually, there isn’t ANY overspray. The problem lies in my lack of ability to tape off straight lines on curved surfaces.
But with either practice, or having someone else do them, it’ll look much better.

Eh… KINDA, but I was going more for a look similar to this (although my “spokes” are a little thicker):

Relax, I’m not trying to start a fight. I KNOW my opinion is the most important. I was merely curious to see how the people on this forum would like them.

I’ll do what I choose to my car, regardless of opinions, as I’m sure you would as well, I was just honestly happy with the change in appearance over the OE look, and wanted to see what people thought.

And from what I can tell, opinions are mixed, but more seem to dislike it, than like it.

My overall goal, was to bring a little nostalgic muscle car look, into a newer car, which is extremely difficult to pull off, and still keep the car looking “right”.

But thanks for your input.

yeah, I’d say keep the lip silver

or go all black

edit:

I think they’d look better the way you painted them too if there wasnt so much fender gap. But you saying you have a limited budget would probably rule out springs/suspension to lower it.

and slightly OT…

Limited budgets suck… I’d love to put springs/suspension/rims on my car, but my limited budget just allows me enough to make the payments, so I feel your pain…

I’ll have to post the photoshops Nichole did of the two choices, and the stock look. It’s what helped us decided this way looked the best.

And as far as lowering it, I’m looking at $60-80 per strut, springs, I believe go for $200-$300.

It’s not cheap. I’d LOVE to lower it, but Cavaliers are very gay, and have weak suspensions, which require quality components, such as Eibach, I can pick up a set of coilovers for $100 (low quality brand), but they wouldn’t last.

I mean seriously, I blew one wheel bearing, snapped one lug on the other, blew out BOTH front upper strut mounts, and had to replace the struts today. That should give you an idea of the lack of quality incorporated into these cars.

And limited budgets… they REALLY suck… you’re not alone man.

Oh please don’t.

Don’t what, Corey?

do that :frowning:

I have the fronts done, I just have to do the rears.

Eventually when I have some spare cash, I’m having them powdercoated.

powdercoat the whole tings.

Stock (I can’t find the original pic that matches the photoshops)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/montecarlochick/qq.jpg

Photoshop of the car with the rims how they are now (with blacked out headlights and such)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/montecarlochick/2323.jpg

Photoshop of the car with a silver lip (also with blacked out headlights and such)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/montecarlochick/100_00502Medium.jpg

yeah, now that I see that, I do kinda like the way it looks with black lip, or at least it accomplishes your goal of making it look different, i say go for it… its your ride after all.

eh i’m not feelin it…

That’s how I felt when I looked at the stock rims, and when I looked at the rims with a silver lip…

It just didn’t feel right, whereas the style I chose, as SuburuDan said, seems to complement the car more.

Who knows, maybe in a year i won’t like this style either lol.

I like the silver lip myself… what ever tickles your winky…

I didn’t think the silver lip looked as good with thick spokes as it does with thinner spokes.

I also think the silver lip on my rim draws more attention to the tire, whereas the black lip also seems to hide the tire more.