New Record HP on the dyno!

I love that car. One of my favorites to watch at the FLD’s. Saw it in Hot Rod, too.

I actually have another plan for a modified GM code that is easy to tune and should work but doesnt quite offer as much tunabilty as its a batch system and not true sequential
Megasquirt confuses me. You have to buy pieces and build the system or something like that?

i got my megasquirt as a kit and soldered it myself, but you can buy a assembled one for about $400 at
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-engine-management-system-wpcb3-assembled-unit-p-65.html
then buy the labeled harness for another $60 and splice into your existing harness.

Nice! Looks like he was spinning a decent amount with that trap.

FAST is relatively easy tune if you have experience with other standalone systems. I wouldn’t recommend tuning any standalone without prior experience unless you are willing to invest alot of time and frustration. But it can be done and you need to start somewhere…

For an initial tune Megasquirt is cheap and easy. It’s the details that will take the time. On the positive side the MegaSquirt online forums can be extremely helpful and you usually can find a “base tune” for your application on msruns.com. I can supply assembled base Megasquirt kits for $375 +shipping. For details on these kits (or to order them directly) go to: Engine Management | KPTuned.com

DIY’s harness is nice and the the wires are nicely labeled!

Thanks, I’ll pass that on to Rob!

Based on the weight of the car, the Mustang dyno WCF numbers and the dyno/ ET calculator we use (which has proven very accurate on slower cars) the car should have run 8.988. So he was very close. However, at these horsepower levels there are way too many variables involved to be extremely accurate.

FAST is relatively easy tune if you have experience with other standalone systems. I wouldn’t recommend tuning any standalone without prior experience unless you are willing to invest alot of time and frustration. But it can be done and you need to start somewhere…

Interesting, but i wonder how different can it be over regular map sensor based GM pcm’s? VE MAP and RPM right? I’ll have to read up on it

I wish tuning a standalone only involved modifying VE tables! You have to understand the thousands of man hours that go into developing a PCM like GM’s. When my son and I took Greg Banish’s Engine Management class he explained how much time and money went into to every aspect of the “tune” on a PCM. For example, just to get the “Cold Start Enrichment”, “After Start Enrichment” and the “Warmup Enrichment” in the PCM working correctly Greg and several other “tuners” and support personnel were flown to Alaska during the Winter. They spent an entire week tuning just those parameters! The PCM’s like GM’s have hundreds of other “tuning” parameters like these already worked out for you.

So to answer your question about the difference between a standalone like FAST XFi and a factory PCM… when tuning a standalone system you are primarily on your own. Yes, the VE table tuning is primarily the same but you MUST understand the modifiers affecting the VE tables and what impact it will have on the final product.

Please don’t think I am pretending to understand everything about this. I’ll be learning this stuff the rest of my life. I encourage everyone to learn what you can and ask questions when you’re uncertain.

Mike is absolutely right-- and that is why it’s so damn hard to get a car with standalone to perform like a stock car with factory programming. Making full throttle maps is the easy part-- getting the car to run well around town on and off the throttle, cold starts, etc is where the real magic comes in.

and just getting a car to idle and run full open on a stand alone can take some serious time, especially if you’re totally new to it like me… but all i’m going to say is that I had my car ‘close’… it would start, run and drive…

after only the first 30 minutes in the hands of a professional it was seriously night and day difference… and what i had programmed in after hours and weeks of messing with parameters, was essentially throw away. haha

See thast what i figured, there has to be a bunch of other tables involved…

Now if you already somewhat understand how the factory ecm stuff works as far as startup enrichments, etc and etc, all that little stuff that has big effects, would tuning a standalone system be abit easier?

Here’s the run at Rockingham

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Bx2oM0oj8”]YouTube - Rockingham Test Session[/ame]

That pass was with a broken second gear, right?

Yep, you can barely tell…

ZOOOOOOOOM!! we ran there

how heavy is that car again? thats moving pretty good

2 tons!

…of fun.

just think mike… the GTX will be NASTIER Than that!!! :eek3:

As long as your set up doesn’t look like this: :stuck_out_tongue:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/synyster11/2ihm428.jpg

wow sad part is someone put a lot of time into that