Newbs, and the new mwmber sales.

Ok, I’m not one to normally complain about things, at least not publicly. But something really has to be done with the recent influx of newbs who don’t know how to use the SEARCH button.

1st) I don’t mind asnwering good questions, but I’m tired of reading the same darn question for the 30th time and seeing the same darn answeres over and over etc… These People NEED to search.

2nd) There is a farking HUGE number of new “users” posting junk for sale most of which is not even 240 or nissan related. This really gets my goat. provided that I actually owened a goat I would be more irritated, but I digress.

Solution) This may sound unpleasent to some, and not so much to people who like me are tired of the crap. Post Limits. IE: A new user in subjected to an arbitrarynumber of posts to achieve acces to post in other sections, Meaning, little jonny newb is stuck only being able to post in the “new members” section until he hits 50 GOOD posts. Meaning little jonny newb just can’t go about postin 50 pieces of crap and expect to be rewarded, there should be a 3 strike limit for stupid posts, then banned.

So while little jonny newb can only post in the “new members” section he is able to search, and look at the regular non “member” areas as he pleases. Now onto the for sale type deal. There should be another higher post limit that jonny newb must reach before he may be allowed to start new posts in the for sale section, this will prevent the “I joined just to sell” user from messing up our nice forum.

this is just a suggestion, but I think it works well and will help clean up a great deal of the clutter and crap.

thanks

I think it’s funny how YOU didn’t use the search function for this idea…

http://www.son240sx.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17664&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Never the less, you are right.

well, it’s not exactly so much searchable criteria, as it was just a rant. Nor do I beleive that it is irrelevent, or stupid, as seen with the occasional newb.

Hey Scribbles,

This is actually being discussed with the mods/admin right now, and we hope to implement a better way of dealing with these things and other occurances very soon.

Stay tuned (:

cool, then there’s no need for this to be around anymore… BULEETED

OMG YOU DID A REVERSE SMILEY! :lol:
I wouldn’t say they should only be allowed to post in New Members. What if they have some kind of urgent and important question? I mean, New Members is only the Intro thread. I think we should have the post counter be triggered at one, so that they are forced to make a post in the new members to introduce themselves, and the only sections being off limits for posting till they hit 50 would be Buy&Sell.

50’s quite a few dont u think, i think it might discourage people from joining the club, because some people are just lurkers and dont really post much like me, :lol: dont get me wrong this is a good idea as 240sxforums has a rule similar to this and it seems to haven helped greatly, but i think thats a bit harsh…

this is true to a certain point. just becasue i have low posts dosent im always out at the meets in my area, because i am, i just dont post much. i think the problem is that ppl feel they are noobs till they get a big post count. this results in the tons of useless posts we see everyday.

well, it’s mearly a suggestion don’t take my numbers as literal fact.

We had this influx of people on our DSM board about a year ago. People that would join to sell irrelevant crap, troll, etc.

We began by approving memberships which made the user state why he wanted to join. That alone cut down half of the useless newbs.

Now we are at a point where Club DSM is not accepting new users. I dont think we’ll get to a point like that here but we were just so tired of idiots flooding our forums and causing arguments ever other day that its been shutdown to send a message to our users.

my .05 cents

What a shame it has to come to this eh…

We should just ban each offending new person for a week - and add the fact that this will happen to new users in the rules so there is no argument.

This way only the person creating the problem is punished, and awareness should rise as it happens. The thread should be straight-out deleted as well, not just locked IMO, to help with any clutter issues.

Wouldn’t that make sense?

sounds ridiculous.

what an uninviting forum.

“hi, i got a 240 the other day, how do I fix the brakes”

youre now banned because you asked a question. way to act like you’ve never asked a question that hasnt been answerd before.

For the “dumb questions” problem… I think we need the Site a bit more outlined and detailed… More useful info and DIY topics in the Tech/FAQ “like how to change your brakes” one thread… S13/S14/S15/Z32/R32 cover them all… Same with Motor Swaps and other upgrades etc…

Use Sites like this http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm and copy the How To’s with pictures into our Forum… Same with all the Info from Heavy Throttle on SR swaps and so forth… (many sites have done this)

I also agree we need a miniuim cost count for user before they can post in the For Sale sections… Whether 10/20/30/40/50… something so that person actually has to take part in the club to an extent and not just use it to their benifit.

Their is also ALWAYS going to be noobs posting “what some may call” stupid shit and stupid questions… it happens (hence them being new)

Ironically I agree with you for the most part.

But this was my attempt at a compromise with a lot of people here who have no tolerance for questions that have been asked time & time again etc. I personally would just gently remind the new user that searching really does work. Only if it were to get out of hand should anything further really be needed IMHO…

Cleaning up the FAQ’s and putting together some new ones may well help things out for everybody.

I would think the last thing we’d want would be to be seen as an uninviting forum. :grouphug:

another thing I don’t get is what is the problem with someone just selling something rather than conversating?

what is it you have against newbs selling stuff? Just curious

it’s just that some newbs only join the forums to sell their junk and are never to be seen or heard from again. they do not contribute to the community since they only abuse the system to get rid of their shit quick.

I don’t know how its abusing, the person is buying something thus getting what they want/need thus contributing to the community…

maybe its just me :dunno:

its the fact that alot of them are selling stuff that is totaly irrelivent to Son240sx.ca or to 240’s or nissans altogether, not to long ago we had a guy first post was all honda parts, Like serioulsy, waist of band with.

for permanent bans i think ip address bans are best just so that individual is not allowed to just sign up again under a new user account/name

however, this is useless in cases where the user has an isp that provides dynamic ip’s (such as dsl). if they’re determined enough, they could also use proxies to browse the site. bans are just a way to filter out the retarded people, but not all the a-holes.