NewEra Cam LS6: 440whp 409wtq NA stock longblock

Mike tuned this car last week, the results were very impressive!
The owner is a Track Master instructor, (along with other thing I forgot) But the car is track races a LOT. The stock LS1 was burning some oil for some time, and had some cylinders getting low on a compression test. There only so many years you can road race a stock motor. I’ve only been out in this car for 1 session around the glen. And its so much more demanding that any street driving or drag racing. Its 30-45mins at WOT 4,500-6,500 RPMs, And sometimes on a thurs-sun weekend you can do this several times.

The car had the the normal bolt ons:

Stock LS6 intake
New era ported stock TB,
SLP Lid
underdrive pulley
GMMG catback
And a smaller comp cams, cam in the 22x range that has been out for a few years, with supporting mods.
1 3/4 SLP long tube headers (these things suck to work on)
SLP catted Y-pipe

Mike tuned it and it was making 364whp 369wtq back in the spring of 2007. (that’s the latest date I found, looking tonight. But this setup I think has been around many years before that even, 2003ish I think?)

So it was decided by the owner to buy a new GM LS6 motor to replace his tired LS1. And he had been wanting to change some of his parts, to newer ones. To take advantage of some of the latest improvements, of power, materials, and fit & finish. So at this time he upgraded to:

1 7/8 AmercianRacing headers, with there merge collectors (same set I run on my car) And there Y-pipe, everything is stainless, made in the USA.

New Era Street Sweeper High Torque Camshaft (LINK)

[LEFT]Specs Int Ext[/LEFT]
Duration @ .050 228 232
Lift .612 .600
LSA : 111

A few other road race guys have used this cam, And it dose really good.
That curve is awesome, not many stock 346s on stock heads break 400wtq. And 400whp @ 4800 to redline is great too,
And this motor will make more power after it gets some miles on it.

such a nice car, and now with that much new power the owner should have even more fun doing trackdays.

Badass :tup:

I talked you into these headers over some cheapies… and the lid over the K&N cone gayness.
So when you getting a cam:)

Is this the white vette with the black rear end?

No, I believe it’s a bright red fbod.

yes its a red SS

Was going to ask - does this guy run a 6M or 4A tranny? If it’s a manual, how’s the 111 LSA work out for it? I heard manuals do better with closer to 114…

In any case, it makes me rethink getting 243 heads and a cam…

The street sweeper cam is great in a manual. I got to romp one pretty hard and it was a blast. Even with an aggressive clutch, it wasn’t hard to drive. It’s still a serious cam though, so it’s lopey. Killer killer killer powerband though. Love it.

What’s wrong with a cam on stock heads, Julius?

very nice curve :tup:

Most people go with higher LSAs on auto cars and lower on manual…

Nothing wrong - I just have the 241 heads. The only difference between my motor and the LS6 is the cam and heads. And many guys with LS2’s who swap out theirs will have spare 243 heads (I misspoke) left over. And besides, anything over a stock cam, I’d need new springs anyway, so I might be able to get a “pre-built set for cheap”.

Hmm - I thought it was the opposite.

Someone from newera can jump in but people would run a higher LSA for a better idle in auto cars.

I found a quote from Small-block Chevy Performance, page 82:

"Generally, drag cars with automatic transmissions respond best to camshafts with 104* to 108* [LSA]. Powerglide transmissions, with only two gears (Low and Drive), rely heavily on the torque converter for torque multiplication. Powerglide-equipped engines therefore operate over a relatively narrow and low RPM band …

… Consequently, an engine linked to a Powerglide will typically run a cam with tighter lobe separation than a powerplant with a three- or four-speed automatic, where dependency on a torque converter is much less. Similarly, when a clutch and a four- or five-speed manual transmission (or clutch-assisted automatic) is employed, lobe separation is wider yet, as the engine’s operating speed range tends to be higher. Most Pro Stock engines run cams with 114* to 120* (sometimes more)… "

I am not quite sure you understand what you are comparing. That article is backing up its use of LSA per amount of gears and keeping it in a usable powerband to net the best et. This is correct

In street cars 6-sp cars will use the lower LSA as drivability especially with a steep gear is less of a factor. However with tuning where it is now it is not a huge issue at all.

When trying to compare what is best for overall performance much more then LSA needs to be taken into account you would need to look at the entire cam card and use something like cam-pro to overlay a graph to match the rpm’s you will turn, tire size, stall, rear gear, etc etc.

That is the best response i can give without typing up a way too lengthy response. If you have any questions i can try to answer my best. I was one of the first to be pushing the limits of lerge cam shafts and tuning in LSX cars oh some 7 years ago when people thought the G5X1 was INSANE lol.

Car is a 6speed T56 trans.

I guess the best I could say is: yes that is a true statement. But a very general statements that has been around for many years, to help describe camshafts in a catalog were the same cam lobes are used, and adjusted in size that will be used in thousands of different engines in brands, verticals, weight, transmission, bore/stroke size, intake manifold, fuel… Read some tech articles on the cam sites.
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/FAQ/LSAproperties.asp

And it is one way to do it. Its basically moving the event the intake valve closes, and the ext valve opens. That is the change and one side affect adjusting the LSA your asking about, but dose not always do what your looking for. We have tested the cams we sell on different LSA and most didn’t make a noticeable change when its all said and done, the car is full street and dyno tuned for best performance. Yes a car might have a slightly different, at the same idle RPM manifold vacuum. Or power band comparing this power curve to the same cam with a different LSA. But thats really a getto way to make these changes, and more a little of the noticeable byproduct of it. When changing the valve events in the lobe is more controlling.
Also, its not like we are not going to be putting a Hellion cam in a 2004 LS1 GTO with stock exhaust manifolds. Auto trans with the stock torque convertor, and rear ends gears. Which is what some people would do, and that statement about LSA would be true about. For a auto car that is souds like your worried about. We have used this cam in many times, it would have at the least 3:73 gears with stock sized tires, 4:10 + and more are ideal limited to trap RPMS. And a loose convertor, a least a bigger street that flashes 3500 or more. There is a bunch of guys out there, but I race alot and know really well, with a street car they drive alot and this cam. Has gone 10.8 on a 100 shoot, on a slow 1.59 60’ on the stock sized 255/60/16 MT DRS. This StreetsweeperHT cam, stock heads, LS1 intake and TB. Then darren has a mild street setup he drives, with the streetsweeper cam I have. Has gone some 11.50s NA, stock 98 LS1 heads. Both have 10bolts, stock trans, touqre arms, rear sustention arms. shocks, Not a lot of weight removed, some small free things are probally 35xx race weights.

Sorry to go OT, But its not 1986 and its comp cams, 270* magnum grind for a SBC that might go in a 3/4ton work van, or a 71 Vega with a tunnel ram. If you have New era do a cam for you it will be right.

SS cam rocks… :tup:

I been debating on that cam. I have a TSP torquer 3 thats gotta go in the vette. but maybe ill buy a street sweeper and change things up. the sweeper cam should go good with a set of 5.3 heads on my c5. with some bottle. my vette is light like studderins car. . 29XX lbs. depending on how much gas is in the car and what not… it does high 11’s low low 12’s no cam/no heads/no juice ls1.

:burnout: Sweet, your car would fly with the bigger 236/240 SS cam, if its that light I wish I was still down there, Im back up in 3360 street weight with the rollbar, safety stuff and interior. Let me know about the cam, if your out here again you can check it out in my car, go for a spin.