Newman's 1986 BMW 326rb build thread.

although it did match your eyes nicely…

i think it brought me luck when we rolled on gary! teheheh

Temporary motor mounts: COMPLETE
Finished up the temporary mounts. They are very secure, but obviously, there is some flexure from the length of the moment arm. Extending the mounts forward appears to be the most viable option, so i’ll probably go that route for the final product. The final mounts will be laser cut and formed, not this hackneyed jumble of structural steel.

Next step: cut out tunnel/floor as needed and build transmission mount…

props to you… i wouldnt even know where to start on a project like this

If you’re getting flex with angle iron, will the new mounts delete the block bracket or just use different geometry off the subframe?

This project is gay, everything about it is gay, everyone involved is gay, gay gay gay.

Finished product mounts should be cool. The tunnel is gonna be fun.

There are only 3 mounting points for this, and most, FR longitudinal cars: Two sides, one transmission.

However, the flex is actually in the subframe. it’s EXTREMELY minimal, but noticeable. At first i was concerned that there was a great deal of side to side motion, but that actually turned out to be the sidewalls of the tires flexing. Ask don. that fucker ain’t movin’…

At any rate, to ensure that the mounts are rigid, I will do one of two things:

1. Design the motor mounts such that it ties the block, subframe and lower radiator support. Viewed from the side, the mount would triangulate all 3 points in the same plane. I am waiting until the charge piping has been made before attempting this, to ensure that the charge piping maintain the shortest OAL possible. The design of the mount has a great deal of flexibility, in that respect.

2. Modify/Stiffen the subframe such that it can handle the moment stress. This would be accomplished by weld-on bracketry.

where is the power steering loop u made. how is the ground clearance looking?

PS loop is sitting on don’s desk. Just need to weld it up.

Ground clearance is looking fine! The lowest point on the rear of the oil pan is also the lowest point on the transmission, which is just above the frame rails… no worries there.

The lowest hanging part will probably be the 3" exhaust. It actually may necessitate further chassis modifications or oval exhaust tubing… BMW guys… do people run 3" exhaust on E30s?

ummm u definatly do not need to but id go 4inch :wink:

dam! i wanted to see it.

Let me know if you get any of this i need to take a look at it. and see if it will work for the CRX.

hay dude, when u actually do sumptin with all those parts then post the pix up. you look like a fukin packrat junkie with all those parts and no car out of it!

:lolsign: :lolsign:

:gay:

lol. wtf? :stuck_out_tongue:

what parts do you speak of? All the stuff in the background that isn’t mine?

:tup:

newman, you fukin packrat junkie

diaf

on a lighter note, some of us, who would actually like to learn from other ppl’s experiences, appreciate a thread like this. allows us to understand all that goes into a custom motor swap.

once again, diaf

wow, you’re kicking its ass. Nice!!

–mark

wow, i hope you need don or newman’s input or skills at some point if you stay on the forum. i’ll be right there to quote this, trust me.

EDIT: Vehicles:
Ford Probe, Jeep Cherokie

:tup:

Sweet first post.

Newman I am loving this project, nice job so far. I really hope unlike some other of your projects, you keep this until it’s complete

i think don will knife me if i do.