Newman's 1986 BMW 326rb build thread.

Simply amazing so far. :tup:

the next step is going to be to just clean everything up, remove the seats and carpets and power wash it. Then I am going to california until the 9th, so work will resume then. After i get back, I hope to have the motor mounts done in a week.

This is the first time in years that I have genuinely had fun working on a car.

on the body kit are the inner head lights the air intakes? if not that would be nice to make.

o yeah. if you find anyone to remove the glass let me know and we can try to work a deal with some. i need to have the class in my project removed. i would like to reuse it, that is why i want someone to remove it for me.

catalyst and i removed the windshield on my 240 with guitar string. I was able to reuse it without any problems.

yeah the windshield i am not toooo worried about, it is the side windows. and i really dont want to brake the windshield because the car is old.

the m tech I body kits were offered only on m tech cars in europe. you can find them around the forums, let me know if you’d like me to look around for one.

be wary on the bmp kit. it fits like shit, and is really wavy. you will also have to modify the rear bumper to fit the early arches i believe. i had bmp sideskirts and got rid of them.

The pic of the RB in the engine bay makes me hate you.
I want.

Looks good.

more m technik I pics

this next one shows the star-tac smoked tails and euro plate filler (and a euro plate obv, but the plate filler can be used with U.S. plates)

If you are having problems fitting a brake booster i would suggest to use a hydro boost setup. It will be small enough to clear. Only down side is that you will have to run lines to it from your power steering pump. You will also have to extend or shorten the rod on it.

tee up… how long until you quit or finish it? lol… looks good so far, more know how and time than id be able to put into a car, can’t wait to see the final project… what type of numbers will the motor put down?

LOL. WHAT’S THAT?

i’m shooting for march, but carlisle is the end all date.

turbo is sized for about 500 whp

gonna be a fun car to drive i bet… sooo no more big turbo sti?

gaan

-originalsin

lol.

looking good newman… sorry i didnt stop out today :frowning:

today’s update.

Gutted the rest of the interior:

There are some holes in the floorboards that will be simple to patch up. Removed a lot of sound deadening. Seats + carpet easily weight 200+ pounds, not to mention all the underdash stuff that’s not going back in.

Cleaned the engine bay a bit with degreaser. Also cut off some unused bracketry for cleanliness.

Next, I needed something that wouldn’t take more than a day to do, so considering I am leaving on vacation tomorrow. Since there is no PS to be run on the car, we need to loop the PS lines. This is where the lines attached:

With 2 banjo bolt style fittings like these:

http://www.rennbay.com/images/pumpbanjo.jpg

They both appeared to be on the same plane, so this is what don and I came up with:

The 2 small ports on the end will be tacked closed with weld. We went to the machine shop at work and hammered it out in an hour or so…

Temporarily installed (still needs to be welded):

That’s it for now. Expect the updates to resume on the 10th or 11th.

Now seeing that kind of shit makes me happy. :slight_smile: A lesser hack would have connected those two ports with the banjo fittings and some tubing and clamps, real awkward like and begging for leaks. Attention to detail >*. :tup:

The thing I don’t like about this thread is that you make it seem easy. You’re leaving out all the “Now how the fuck are we going to do this?” moments. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s the thing. To be totally honest with you. Newman and I think pretty much on the same track. He is creative and this is the first time in years I have gotten to be creative on a project. Most customers have an idea what they want and have a very very tight budget…which in the end kinda limits how creative I can get. The nice thing about this is that with this project the sky is the limit. Between him and I we have soo much at our disposal that in a sense where we would have come into road blocks like “how the hell am I gonna do this” We take an objective look at it and go “got it”.

So it is as easy as we are making it look. This project is not hard. The hard part would be trying to do something like mate factory BMW and Nissan wiring together etc. This is just a basic shell nothing more nothing less. It’s like building a model car. All the parts are there just assemble the way we want to.

The nice thing is that my shop has progressed soo much in the last couple years in terms of abilities and experience that there really isn’t anything anymore that is out of the question. So between his connections at work and my connections in the Import and Automotive Industry there really is nothing that is off limits to us and thus makes things possible.

This is why projects cost money. The more you know, the less hassles, the better your work comes out. That is kinda what I have been trying to stress for a while about us. We take the time here to take that extra step and attention to detail. Newman is very attentitive to detail as well. Expect this to be a really nice funtional car when we are done.