News about the 15-year importation rule

Morning Gentlemen,

I wanted to contact your forum with some important news about the 15-year importation rule. The Canadian government is considering a change to a 25-year importation rule. This process has been building behind closed doors for the last year without public notice or consideration. We at IVOAC (Imported Vehicle Owners Association of Canada) (www.ivoac.ca) received information that the draft is completed and will be submitted for signature THIS SPRING. This is not rumor; this is fact.
If you own, want to own a 15-year old import OF ANY MAKE OR MODEL then this will affect you.
We at IVOAC have created a website FIGHTING this change. We have developed a 60+ page rebutting this attempt to change the rule. 3 weeks ago we started up the site and immediately caught the interest of the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) importers. Our membership grew quickly to almost 200 persons.
This site will deal with all the latest confirmed information dealing with DOT/SAE issues, insurance concerns and of course fighting the change itself.
We strongly ask that you at least check out the site (www.ivoac.ca) and if you feel comfortable to join in the fight. Most of the conversations so far on the site are by the RHD community but the change will affect ALL persons that own or wish to own a 15-year old import from ANYWHERE (but the states). They have the power at this time to succeed but with your help we can stop this.
Please feel free to forward this to anyone you might think would be affected.

Cheers

Is there a petition started?

AFAIK, Internet petitions have no legal validity, so even if there is one, it would likely be useless.

We at IVOAC (Imported Vehicle Owners Association of Canada) (www.ivoac.ca) received information that the draft is completed and will be submitted for signature THIS SPRING. This is not rumor; this is fact

So how did you “receive information” about this “draft”? Why not state your sources?

Sounds like just another way to stir up traffic to your website. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I should have been more clear, i was no way relating to a interent petition. I would drive just about anywhere in town to put my name on this list.

If you read on the website, you will see quite clearly the sources that have confirmed this information.

I read portions of the website, but I see no sources. I see an “official email” with the source name and contact info blanked out.

http://www.ivoac.ca/pn/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=83

Again, until some reliable sources are named, this is just rumors.

I agree

If you guys were familiar with the people involved in the forums, you’d realize that this concern is valid. I’ve been watching this issue before they started the IVOAC forum, Transport Canada is really contemplating the rule change right now.

I’m sick of all the rumors too, but this is based on real contact with Transport Canada. The reason the contact information is hidden is because they don’t want the contacts to be flooded with emails, they don’t want to piss off Transport Canada.

Is the air really that dense up in Edmonton?

:roll: :roll:

I suppose its better to be safe than sorry and just assume the rumors are true, wouldnt you say? How dumb would you feel if you ignored it and then ot of nowhere the laws changed and you could have done something to stop it. I figure better to keep options open by being able to import these cars than have the government get even more anal on us.

:!:

Bump

Why are you bumping a thread of someone’s specualtion???

people bump thread for sale or threads with questions, not threads of someone posting information

which means… he’s trying stir up traffic to get people to visit his site.

Ding ding

WHO CARES :!:

Just wanting to keep everyone aware of this group. These guys and gals are making alot of progress to prevent this from happening.

Every forum I go on this rumour has come up… The only thing happening is that there is talk about it happening… but its just talk. It takes forever for something like this to pass through parliament, and also it has to be debated and all that political junk. I worked with an importer back home and one day a guy on GTRC started a rumour and it spread like crazy. Not to say this isnt being thrown around by transport canada. All im saying is, if it was going into parliament you would see something about it on tv. There are too many small businesses growing all over the country from bringing these vehicles in. Its supposedly Consumer Protection, like what they have in the states… But honestly if I didnt have a jdm car, i wouldnt be buying something brand new, and definately nothing in great mechanical shape. Anyways as long as this stays out of parliament long enough for me to get an s14, ill leave it alone.

make sure you get solid talk, otherwise its all just heresay… it is good that people are talking about this whole issue, as more and more people get involved in the fight to keep the 15 year old rule… If you are seriously concerned, email or write a letter to your member of parliament.

I’m really grateful we’ve got a great bunch of people fighting to keep our cars on the road. Great job guys!