Help Fight Transport Canada!

Taken from Import Concern’s Blog Entry:

There has been much speculation over the past year about an amendment changing our 15 year rule to a 25 year rule. Transport Canada says that they are reviewing the idea of a rule change, however they have not set any specific date to start the legislative action. We at Import Concern strongly support free trade in Canada and feel that the current 15 year rule is unfairly restrictive and it serves only big business’ effort to monopolize our Canadian market with bland overpriced cars.
We would like to ask everyone who visits our website to sign up on the Imported Vehicle Owner’s Association of Canada’s (IVOAC) internet forum:

http://www.ivoac.ca

or

http://www.15years.ca

By registering a user account, you are showing your support for imported vehicles and consumer choice for vehicles in Canada. We encourage you to ask your friends and family to sign up and read the content, even if they choose not to post in the discussions. The IVOAC has become the most active organization for the fight against the 25 year rule amendment. We feel that the IVOAC has already delayed the rule change which may have already happened had some IVOAC members not joined the fight.

I know alot of people have said this is all purely speculation, however if the Importers themselves are scared by this, something obviously is changing, or about to. I think a free trade market is very important to the Canadian consumer, and even help’s big buisness in most cases!

Discuss!

Sorry why should we care if you can import 25 yr old cars into canada?

It defeats alot of people’s want for factory performance, and Jap-tuned sports cars at very reasonable prices… As opposed to just being able to import 25 yr old trucks, vans, buses, and generally just utility vehicles.

I don’t need to answer such a demoralizing question, but I did anyways.

It is a SERIOUS matter and you know it Dustin.

I haven’t read any really good arguments for changing the 15 year rule to 25 years…

I made an account there, couldn’t hurt.

if they set it back to 15 years… Then I can’t wait to buy my next car then!!!

What do you mean set it back to 15? Hasn’t it always been 15?

lol imagine the datsuns rolling around here if it was set back to 25!
talk about true old school jdm ballin. if it does go back it will be good, then people in japan will be forced to find old sickkkkkkk dope cars. not sayin the new ones are bad and all not even like 1983 is thatttttttttttttttt bad.

^^^^^^^^69 charger… u can smell the girls gettin wet befor u see them.

unlike our 240’s… they have to be inside to feel the tourqe taking a toll on there… ive decided not to finish that statement

LOL u guys r jokers… this is SERIOUS man buisness… no women aloud!

Yea really imagine…JDM Datsuns have been eligible for years, they are eligible right now, yet there are still none around. Weird huh?

I’ve seen them for sale on exporter sites… none on importer sites, because there isnt a huge market for them, and they are pretty pricey themselves in japan… a 240z goes for more than a nice GTR in most cases.

Just to clarify for everyone:

– Currently no car newer than 15 years old can be imported and registered (currently 1992 or newer no good - ie. R33/R34 Skyline not allowed etc.)

– Transport Canada is trying to make things HARDER by disallowing anything that is not at least 25 years old to be imported (ie. 1982 or older only eligible for import…not good)

Motives seem fishy at best.

Damn bastards changing the law so shit ass chrysler and GM dont go bankrupt, why should we be punished for the shit quality in their cars.

Like I had said, I’m pretty positive I haven’t heard any good arguments to changing the law. I once heard some sort of attempt at a connection between street racing and importing, but it was a pretty loose connection at best. Didn’t make much sense.

I don’t even see how importing an old Skyline would impact new domestic car sales. Obviously if someone is looking in the $10k-$20k price range for a used GT-R, they’re not going to go “Oh gosh darn, I can’t import that for another 10 years now, I guess I’m going to buy an Aveo/Neon/G5/Focus.”

I know^^^ as if I would say “oh I can’t get a GTR, time to get a Cobalt SS then.” Idiots.

Another problem is the law was never a nuissance, my uncles owned Aston Martins, Bentleys and classic Benzes under the same law. They drove legit. Today its all nOObs with shady cars and bad driving habits.

These cars are brought in primarily for drifting, racing, hardparking and generally being a hero…when classics were used to go for a cruise through Forks of the Credit.

TransCan is stupid but not blind.

I just want a factory s15 and an r34 if they change it so that cars take longer to get i will be kinda pissed.

Bahaha preach it!

What is the logic behind the 15 year rule anyway? Not like the cars get safer with age. We cant have an evo because according to Canada the bumpers aren’t safe. But once its 15 years old it no longer matters? I don’t get it.

I work at chrysler! Cars arnt shit they just arnt designed to drift.