25years old?

I had a discussion with a vehicle safety regulations officer the other day and he metnioned that the DMV is really pushing to change the rule on 15 year old vehicle importation…to 25 years…

…anyone have any info on this?

We don’t have a DMV. Don’t watch so much american TV.

And there has been grumblings about this forever. Nothing new.

ya Im sure a “vehicle safety regulations officer” isnt the right title either Im just high on tang…you know what I mean.

Think it could actually be enforced?

Like 2003specv said, I wouldn’t take it too seriously. There’s been tons of talk about changing import laws, yet nothing has even come close to being set in stone. There would be a pretty big outrage if they did something like that, and they know that. They’re probably just going to keep trying to deter people from importing like the DOT laws they put in place.

Thank you. If there is one thing I hate it’s Canadians using stupid American terms.

I’d like to see some real proof that changes are on the horizon.

Obviously it could be enforced, it is being enforced right now for the 15 year rule it would be no harder for them to make it 25 years…

That is true

There has been lots of talk and the more JDMs that are brought in, especially the illegal ones, the more transport canada ponders the 25 year rule. They have already been talking about the Australian model but they have been talking about it for years.

The plus side to this is that if they do go the Australian way we would be able to import newer cars that can be modified to comply with safety regs so in essence it would be newer cars that are more expensive due to the safety mods or older cars with no issues.

No, I don’t have this in writing.

You also have to think about the big import companies and performance companies having an effect on the government and how it could hinder alot of profit. In a way, it could be compared to cigarette companies with their lobbyists.

Big??? import companies. No such thing if you are trying to argue there would be an effective lobby.

Yah no so much import companies, but you know what i mean. There would be more contributing factor besides the people not wanting that regulation to pass. Anyways, im sure if they do change it to something like Aussies, there will always be someway to import new vehicles.

That is the point of the australia rules. One can import newer vehicles.

What’s a “big import company”? Import Concern? Something tells me they don’t have the resources to lobby that Players does.

I just went to the DMV and they told me the same thing …the pulled my tags off my JDM … what am I to do now …?? /?? ? ?? should I contact redline or fullblown get their lobbyists to fight for me ? I need my skyline dawg

Holy shit you guys attack fast, Im choking on the sarcasm haha. But after read what i said i can see how stupid “big import companys” sounds and should have left that out. But calm down with the smart jokes. I was more just bringing up that fact that im sure big name companies like Greddy, HKS etc have a certain effect since their business is based on alot of import vehicles. Just this being the topic, just thought of any possible factor that could be involved in the next 5-10years or whatever.

I really don’t think the government would care about some company from Japan that may lose a tiny but of Canadian business because of a change in the laws. I also don’t think those companies give a flying shit if JDM cars are brought here or not. It would have such little impact on them…

Fair enough, point taken. But i cant see this rule happening for the next few years anyways. And i was more thinking about north american companies anyways, since it wouldnt affect the other side at all really. Just a thought though.

How do you pronounce Laujik ?! … like Logic ?!

no no, that cant be eat.

Yessir =D

One of those names you figure out as you are sitting in a lawn chair, having a beer, and watching 2 of your friends see if they can jump ontop of the house from the trampoline.

I dont see this effecting the aftermarket companies as much as it will the import companies as there is tons of "import"Canadian cars here that currently buy their products as well as the handful of JDM import cars here already that buy from these companies. Import Companies will feel this the most