Importing laws changed to 25yrs

Hey guys, today, i read in the papars (star) and came across a article saying how importing japanese cars 15yrs and older will no longer be allowed in about 18 months as the new law requires a car to be 25yrs or older to be eligable to reach to canada. there should be an article online but i can’t find it. But they said this decision will be a “done deal!” i bet all those businessmen that started shops and shit for importing cars will be screwed eh.

I remmber telling someone this when they said " oh its going to be sick, i’ll be getting the r33 and 34 when it becomes legal in canada" then i added " well, probably by the time the sick r33 reaches here, the gov’t will realize the larger number of imported TUNED cars in canada which are RHD, they will probably ban everything from getting over here."

so…yeah…my predictions were true. BUT, it still has 18months to become a final.

Also, people from an organization said its because people are buying more used FASTER japanese cars. So the 5000 units or so that are being imported here could be transfered to a brand new car sold here in one of our many dealerships, but instead we go for importing. And they argued that teenages will have access to powerful turbo charged vehicles and will cause danger to the road. But, we have STi’s, 350Zs and shit, teenagers have access to that. so wtf! but the gov’t has their power i guess…

any thoughts?

I think it blows hard. If I truly do have 18 months, then I am not all that worried. I want to treat myself to an R32 as a graduation present in a year. Hopefully the law wouldn’t have changed by then.

this blows! i think it mite be just enough time for me to get one, so im crossing my fingers!

http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/195075

“Now comes word the federal government is contemplating changing the threshold to 25 years, a move that will effectively quash the burgeoning importation industry and restore the law to its original intent: serving the small collector market.”

hah, you guys should read 1/2 of what is posted on gtrc, those guys are a bunch of cry babies (its our right to import cars, or why can he have a r34, but we cant)

This was going to happen sooner or later and since everyone was “abusing” the 15yr rule “to put it simply” it serves them right.

jebus, this is nothing new. 15years.ca go get properly informed. Don’t believe everything you read in the paper to me entirely fact.

makes perfect sense to me and i understand completely why it is happening.

heck, didnt Daulton Mcguinty just say the other day that if everyone wanted to do something for the environment they should scrap their car and go buy a brand new one?

it has more to do with the erosion of the economy than danger to the roads.

problem is though that you dont wanna scare people into thinking the economy is at risk or that more and more automotive jobs are going to be lost because it becomes debatable whose fault it is.

instead you blame it on evil street racers because no one will disagree with that.

This happened in Australia like 1yr ago,before the new law came into effect Aussie’s were mass importing R32’s. It was bound to happen sooner or later. At least there will still be many R32’s on the road that can be bought and sold.

all ive taken from this is that in about 2 tyears the value of my 180 will jump.

kidding kidding, all jokes aside, i dont know who said it, but they were right, it was bound t happen sooner or later.

and i also agree with bing. i think is an economy based thing, the japanese already do it.

they have strict laws for older cars and higher premiums. if this 25 year law didnt come into effect then somethign like that (for older vehicles) would have,

this ensures that newer cars are put on the road more frequntly.

I thought the skyline was specifically sold in the Australian market?

I will be very disappointed if this happens. I truly want a nice GTR, but how will I buy one if they become illegal!?
It’s laughable if this is just one of their little schemes to get people to buy cars that are made here in Canada or the US. In that case, I’ll drive my 240 until it falls apart.
And then go out and buy an Impreza, 350z, 3-series BMW or whatever else is made in Japan or Europe… who exactly can stop me from doing that?

When this kind of thing happens it makes me wonder if im just paronoid or if im right.

I think that every freedom we (ordinary people) have is being taken away slowly and

its just a matter of time until we wont be able to leave our homes. Seriously every

thing that comes up as a new hobby,game,sport,fad,lifestyle watever there will be a

new law restricting that someway or somehow.

All I hope is that these importers will just MASS import these cars and reduce these

ridiculous prices I see!!!

^^ I second that personally ill never buy a domestic vehicle not even for a winter beater!!!

im jsut wondering what happends to vehicles that are already imported in canada…do they stay legal?

fucken assholes, GM and Ford and other american manufacturers need to blow themselves. Japanese cars own. It has nothing to do with fuel efficiency, emissions, polution, safety or whatever… just politics and local corporate economics.

^^ I strongly AGREE with aahmed…domestics can suck my b*lls, it does have everything to do with trying to keep the sales of cars domestic

I heard about this also, i think it WILL be happening in the 18 months said…

heres something that you Jap importers could do, import like 100 R32’s! before the law takes effect, i dont think the government will say anything about the cars that are already here, because they know maybe close to like 10-20% of Canadians have and use cars that are 15 years or older…right…they dont expect people to go buy newer cars

w.e i think this is fu*kin bullshit, anyone know what the law is in the u.s??? if the population there is like close to 300 million, then howcome they don’t have laws like this taken into effect if the government is trying to save the environment? or do they…?

mind you in some states they do have 25 year laws and some other states dont have many laws concerning importing cars…

I agree… I strongly believe the case is now that everyone realizes American engineering (therefore their cars) are crap and GM/Ford all those companies are slowly going bankrupt… the government is trying to enforce some level of trade protectionism to balance out North America’s economic market.

Although it is a bummer for us kids that want to import cheap, awesome cars from Japan; it really is better for our economy as a whole that they do this… We’ll end up stuck with the only cheap/used cars available to us falling apart and therefore forced into buying new (and sadly FWD) ones.

Don’t worry guys as time slowly goes by the RWD cars that are expensive now will slowly drop in price and we’ll once again have a new arsenal of ‘legal’ cars to have fun with =).

Darn. I can’t get my R33. I guess i’ll have to buy a new GM instead.

NOT.

I agree as well, this looks suspect.

Thank goodness for the recent horsepower and sports car surge…that’ll keep demand in the right places.

Would it be possible to import a car now, say a R33 for track use wait till its legal then drive it?

BTW i think we should do something about it instead of whining on a forum all day. just my 2 cents.