nico guy buys retired gt3 world challenge 240sx

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/232254

this things pretty sweet

im interested to see where he takes it.

that looks like a REALLY poorly prepped 240

i wasnt impressed by the welds and the overall upkeep of the car. the cage is quite nice. and if that motor is capable of doing what it is said to do, thats one hella engineered ka.

did u see the other one thats for sale? that one looked to be very well done.

KAE + twin side drafts = teh fuxing SEX!

In case people don’t know what I’m talking about:
http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/other/1166767760/1166767760ss.htm
Now THAT is a proper race car, not that beat up lemon shit.

i would love to have a high output na ka. i dont think that motor will lst long tho. unless if its used sparingly.

About 10 hrs of racing I would say.

nah it would last a full season, im guessing 100hrs between rebuilds, it could likely go 200-300hrs before blowing up, but im sure it would damage the crank and pistons before it did grenade

the cage is nice but the wleds on the cage are horrific

the metal work is ghetto and terrible

the dash fab is ghetto and terrible

the steering wheel is a joke

the coilovers are a joke

it looks like a normal dudes 240 not a speed world challenge car.

sasha maybe you can explain this to me

why did they cut the dash like so on the passenger side? weight savings, perhaps somethign was there that i cant think of?

i was wodnering thsi when i saw it.

Airbag?

i think they used to put those big aluminum panels with the car number and sponsor stickers and stuff for the in car camera

so i think that wasj ust haggardly cut out for some reason? i dont know. but im pretty certain it would be covered by the sponsor plate in the car

I sat in this car before.

I went to a bunch of races a few years ago when they first started that world challenge. The guy was super cool, but you could tell he was just a rich business dude that had cash and wanted to fulfill his boyhood dream. He had no real skills when it came to driving the car. I cheered for it back then simply cause it was a 240. I’ll dig up the old pics I have and scan them and send them to the new owner.

As for the dash…
That is exactly the hole the airbag makes when it deploys. It was probably some dash he picked up cheap somewhere… or didn’t bother removing the dash to get the airbag out.

Sasha, why are the welds crap? You can’t even see them closely to tell. Welds that look like glass arn’t going to make much difference anyway. Mig welds with continuous bead look globy sometimes, however the penetration is insane. Take that from someone who’s been mig welding for a while. The cage is well done. That car has great potential, stop bashing it.

Andrew.

if i still had some of my peices back when i was welding competitively, i could show you what different styles of mig welds should look like.

those are rat droppings.

I know what different types of mig welds look like. First off I can’t see his welds to critic them. 2nd its awsome to sit on your ass and say a car is a pos when its probably built better then 99% of the cars on this board.

Andrew.

What I saw looked like bubblegum too… You’re right, you can’t get a real close look, but if it looks like bubblegum from that far away, chances are, ugly or not, the penetration wasn’t there.

I won’t disagree, it’s a nice car, and the cage is well layed out, and yes, it probably is better than 99% of the cars on here, but that’s not the point, the welds are sketch. At best.

I also won’t disagree, you can get good penetration with an ugly weld. But there’s a difference between an ugly weld with 100% penetration, and bubblegum. That looked pretty ghetto.

Well thier are two sides to this, first off I agree that the welds are really no better then ‘grade 11, first week with a MIG’… however they obviously past the tech inspection to go racing so either std’s are low in the challenge cup OR the welds were good enough for the job… I’ve seen worse around the Barrie and sunset speedway ovals that were good enough to pass inspection…

Me personally, I wouldn’t be caught dead proclaiming that car was mine or my work…

Bubblegum welds are different problem, this is just someone not having proper control of their feed rates and Amps(heat)

andrew, im not saying its a bad car

its definately much much better then mine, no arguement there. but while the welds were being critiqued, i threw my 2 cents in

no harm done

bla bla… anyways… I found the pics.

Norm was a super nice guy and was full of enthusiasm. He was pumped up to talk to me about mine (had a '95SE at the time) and gladly answered all of the questions I had about his.

It had a Kouki front end conversion when I saw it.

It was fun to sit in it haha…

I followed him on TV for the rest of the races. He had the power to stay up front, but any time he got into traffic, he got shuffled back. He didn’t have the skill or agression that was needed in that tight competition.

This was the first year Peter Cunningham had his NSX out. It was a '90 that was pulled from a showroom for the RealTime racing team. He kicked ass in this thing, much like he did in the TypeR he raced before that.

Oh yeah, him and I are tight. haha

hahah sick pics dude

theo, was he using that rebello built motor when you saw it?