Nitrous and Meth, thoughts on using both

I made a post earlier this year about using meth vs. race gas, and I ended up going with 100 octane fuel with a large meth nozzle, mixed 50/50, and it works great. I run 35 degrees of timing and have 0.0 KR.

I am doing some reading on nitrous now, and some people are saying that if you spray meth cut with water, and spray nitrous, the nitrous will freeze the water and it will either be bad for the motor, or will not have the benefit of meth/water injection that it should.

What are thoughts on this? Would staggering the jets be a solution, or is there nothing to worry about anyway?

–mark

nitrous isnt that cold by the time it reaches your engine and travels to the IM, i doubt it is going to freeze the water… it may make some more snow/fog but that will turn back to water once it gets near your IM

Well, the thing is, the meth works by atomizing before it gets to the engine too, thats where most of its cooling happens from. I wonder what will happen in the pipe as the meth/water and nitrous get sprayed in close proximity to eachother.

only one way to find out…

Nitrous and propane used to be a popular combination but I’ve yet to heard about nitrous and meth…perhaps this is why?

its not the meth that is the issue. the meth will NOT freeze…

the water may snow

perhaps when you spray meth/nitrous just run 100% meth

I am confused about what you are doing. Are you using water/meth injection as an antidetonataion strategy, cooling an intercooler, or what?

Anti-det and cooling the intake charge. Its post intercooler.

Currently using meth so that I can run 8 more degrees of timing over just 93 octane, using only 100 octane. I could do this with C16 or another actual race fuel, but it would be more expensive, and not provide the cooling and other benefits of meth/water injection.

With nitrous, I would like to continue to use the added benefits of extra octane, while using the anti-detonation properties of meth/water injection to allow me to run more timing in combination with nitrous. All of this would get dialed in on the dyno, I am not even considering going about it willy nilly, but I want to find out ahead of time if the nitrous will seriously freeze the water, and either render my meth/water injection useless, or worse yet, if the less-vaporized injection would actually harm something in my motor.

Just feeling out my options here before changing any paths.

kablewie!!!

If your at all serious, explain.

I do not see the purposes of both.

Nitrous requires fuel, meth is a fuel, you run the risk of loading the intake manifold up and having a serious backfire.

If you really want to make more power, just get a 35r.

Boost plus adequate method of cooling (read reliable) is all you really need.

Meth is a band-aid.

I don’t know that meth is a bandaid. I could see the reasoning of going big turbo over nitrous, but to say meth is a bandage I do not agree. Its an affordable alternative to race gas, with the added benefits of cooling, and keeping the engine clean. Especially when not used as the fuel, but used as a safety net, like in my case.

You clearly know more about this than me (not being sarcastic, you actually do), but that is my opinion on it at least :slight_smile:

How about turning the meth off, spraying the nitrous in the hot side pipe so it cools some of the hot side, the IC, the cold side pipe etc. and spray the fuel portion direct port up in the intake manifold?

If you really love your meth you can jet the fuel nitrous nozzle differently and run meth for the fuel portion, but the plumbing for that so you can still run meth when not spraying nitrous will take a little work. I bet you’ll have a problem burning this consistently and it will be more trouble than it’s worth. I’m also not sure the meth pump can handle this kind of flow at a pressure that’s conducive to proper combustion.

Of course I’m really sick and hopped up on Dayquil so this might not make any sense. In the end I’d keep it simple and run race gas when you spray with the meth kit off.

c16 + nitrous…problem solved

Not always the answer though, it is one solution, but not the best for me. I use meth all the time for my pump gas tune, to supress detonation. I do not want to run C16 all the time. Besides, meth and 100 is so much cheaper, and at least in my setup, is no different boost or timing wise, than running C16.

This could mean that when I spray, I turn off the meth, and just run C16 and nitrous, and then when I don’t spray, run meth and normal fuel or 100.

Nitrous makes you really dizzy and want to sleep. Meth makes you bounce off the walls for days on end.

Oh, you meant for cars? My bad.

:picard:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/jamzrowear12/beforeandafter.jpg

I will leave now.

just add more percentage of meth. The more meth you add the freezing point goes down. In -20*F windshield washer fluid its got about 35% methanol in it, and adding more will reduce it further. There is no way that your IATs are gonna be anywhere near even -20 so id say a 50 50 mix is fine, One thing i would do is inject the nitrous AFTER the methanol into the intake stream, so keep the nitrous injection closer to the engine itself, to protect against freezing or frosting the meth injection nozzle itself which could restrict flow and prevent proper atomization. Running nitrous on the hot side of the intercooler negates some of the cooling effect of the nitrous, the closer to the engine the better. Truth is that race gas is always a better bet but i dont see why a properly tuned setup shouldnt work with boost/meth/nitrous, but race gas is safer and youll make more power with race gas. Just alot of variables here and you still are gonna need to retard timing and play with fuel, Its all in the tuning