nitrous cost and safety ???

does anybody know the total cost of a nitrous system for my 24v vr6 Jetta??? is there anything i should do before i install a system like this. ive been told this engine can handle 300+ HP on stock internals. please give me some insight on this idea. i dont have the cash to turbo/supercharge it.

Nitrous kit… $500-$600 - wet kit, best idea…
MSD window switch $100 or so.

Nitrous refills $3.50-$6.00 a pound depending where ya go to get it filled.

I love installing nitrous kits, maybe cause i spray everything i own, cars/trucks,snowmobiles, weedwacker’yes thats true’ so if ya ever need a hand maybe i can help.

If he’s going to spend $600 on a wet kit & jets

I truly hope he spends another $120 - $200
$70 on a window switch
$15 for a relay and fuel pressure switch
$70-100 on a stronger fuel pump

At the VERY LEAST, get a better pump. The other two pieces are just perks / safeties.

edit-200 shot is fine so long as the plugs & con-rods say so. watch out for the rev limiter.

200 is alot on that poor little motor thats all i run on a built motor

I don’t know shit about VW motors, but I’d still bet that a 300hp shot would blow the head clean off, turn the pistons to slag, etc.

what i ment was that this motor is known to handle ovr 300 total HP with stock internals. thats just retarded to put that kind of a shot on anything front wheel drive. imho.

Start off at a 50 or 75 HP shot, and use a wideband. With proper tuning it should be pretty reliable. You many want to research some other VW boards to be on the safe side to see if anything needs upgraded or other issues such as:

Fuel pump
Fuel injectors
Issues with location if you decide on a wet-shot
Tuning issues

The general rules that apply to OHV V-8’s is that a stock short block is usually reliable with up to about a 40-50% hp boost. The reliable maximum may be less with certain motors, but is seldom more. Of course, this assumes correct setup. There must be enough fuel to run quite rich (~11.5-12:1 works well). You need colder than stock plugs and some way of retarding the timing.

yes start out with a 50-75 and grab a wideband while your at it to make sure things r going to be ok. as well as a FP… i run a 75 shot on my evo and i have it tuned so its still running stupid rich on the spray

and i’ve heard of fbodies running 10s on stock 10bolts. Just because a few get away with it doesnt mean everyone can. In both the VW and RT cases i would suggest hitting up a forum that deals with your car/truck and see how much nitrous people are running on a stock motor.

true. my mistake for ASSUming he would do that anyway. :shrug:

im not saying you are wrong, fbodies run 150shots with no problem on stock motors, so he might also. It just would be a safer bet to check out a forum with people who actual have experence with nitrous on an RT.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19597

whats the difference between a wet and a dry shot??? is there an advantage to one or the other?

All nitrous setups add fuel. If they didn’t, then they wouldn’t work at ALL.

Wet does it through a braided line tapped into the fuel rail (for example) that feeds a solenoid. The noid opens same as the N2O noid, and is metered through a jet like the nitrous.

Dry shot still feeds nitrous through a noid & jet, but it raises Fuel PSI to get more out of the injectors. “Easier” install they say.

For the extra 5 minutes of work, I greatly prefer wet shot. I have more trust in a machined & metered jet then I would in a bump in fuel pressure. But thats personal opinon.

If there were only “nitrous being sprayed into the intake” every single dry kit user would be replacing engine parts after EVERY shot.

Wet kits aren’t always better!!Not all intake manifolds are conducive to running wet kits. The manifolds on some cars will actually cause the fuel in a wet kit to fall out of solution and pool while the N2O reaches the cylinder causing an extreme lean condition usually melting a piston.

Do some research and see what works best for your application.

thanks for the help guys. i gotta put some more time into this idea. prolly wont go for it till spring any way. if there are any VW people that know whats best for this engine i would really be thankfull for any info. thanks again