No Bass Pro in Buffalo.

Buyout. $5,500,000,000.

http://strictlybusiness.buffalonews.com/2016/10/03/bass-pro-coming-wny-thanks-purchase-competitor-cabelas/

:slight_smile:

Oh wow. I hadn’t checked the news, that’s pretty crazy.

I liked Cabela’s, I guess we’ll see how Bass Pro is…

Touche.

I was right about one thing at least… you don’t need a giant anchor store. :slight_smile:

Bass Pro is a kick-ass store. The nearest one is in Auburn, NY, but they are building a much bigger store in Victor, NY. Not sure on the completion date, it’s been pushed back a few times. Visually their stores look nearly the same as Cabela’s which are nearly the same as Field+Stream stores. They are big cozy log cabins that sell lots of hunting, camping and fishing stuff. I haven’t noticed much price disparity between the 3 retailers, and I’m not really sure why Cabela’s is struggling. Bass Pro has a much better network for selling boats though.

I’m bummed…i heard from a little birdy about 3 months ago that this was going down… I shoulda bought into Cabelas and made a quick profit.

Walmart will probably buy Bass Pro now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone think that Cabelas name will still stick? I feel they have too much clothing, footwear, gear, etc with that name on it to change or make it go away. I feel it will be still Cabelas but DBA Bass Pro. So will Bass Pro be the name on the building with items for sale saying Cabelas, will the Cabelas name stay on the building but just being owned by Bass Pro. (Like Burger King bought Tim Hortons but never changed the name)

Have a close relative that works at this store … its been hush hush but they bought the land next to kmart … whatever that means idk, everything will convert over to bass pro at one point or another

You don’t spend 5.5 billion to acquire your direct competitor and keep their name around. BK/Tim Hortons aren’t really marketing to the same crowds where as Bass Pro and Cabela’s have almost identical stuff.

Understandable. What do you do with the current items they would sell with the name Cabela on it? Sell till done then start producing with Bass Pro on the name? Does Bass Pro have a clothing/footwear selection they make. (Maybe a different name)

“We look forward to continuing to celebrate and grow the Cabela’s brand alongside Bass Pro Shops and White River [Marine Group] as one unified outdoor family,” Bass Pro Shops founder and CEO Johnny Morris said in a statement.

You also don’t buy a brand with Cabela’s name recognition and just eliminate it. Bass Pro plans on maintaining the Cabela’s brand.

That really surprises me.

Still bet within the next 3-5 years that name disappears. What they’re saying about keeping both brands sounds like the typical PR stuff you say because you don’t want to piss off brand loyalists.

Silly as it it is, a lot of people see Bass Pro as a fishing store/brand, and Cabelas as a hunting store/brand. Cabela’s has always seemed to have a better reputation overall as it relates to hunting/outdoor gear and selection.

They’ll likely just start carrying the White River/Bass Pro gear at Cabela’s in the fishing departments, and Cabela’s branded gear at Bass Pro’s outdoor departments.

They might eventually phase it out, but they didn’t just buy a competitor, they bought a brand.

All of the Bass Pro shops I have been to definitely have a lot more fishing equipment.